A&H

Good evening.

Mark Armstrong

Hi guys.

I have been wanting to referee for some time but thought myself as too old (36) Then i was watching the Millwall match today where the referee only started at 39... So I thought I would look into in and get myself started.
I live in Wigan, so I guess either Lancashire FA or Cheshire FA or both? I would like to progress and attempt to go as far as i can. Can you guys give me any pointers. contacts or information? I am looking at doing the referees course as early as possible, I think Cheshire has one in february...
Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Welcome to the forum mate. I am sure he crazy gang will be along soon enough to throw their dubious wisdom at you!

:D

If you go onto either counties website that will give you an idea on training. Most people from Wigan way will join Lancashire but you can be an affilliated to Chrshire too.
I'd reccomend first season getting some junior football under your belt varying ages before hitting the adult leagues. But thats just how I did it - do what you feel comfortable
You'll do the course. Then you're a level 9 until you complete 6 games with mentoring. At your age you will then jump to level 7. You can then apply to be promoted. I honestly reccomend getting SOME football under your belt first although assessments are fantastic learning and development tools.
There's loads of juniour leagues and plenty supply leagues. I think you could do lancs league or cheshire league. Cheshire league goes as far as winstanley and billinge st helens to malpas being your furthest trip. Suppose you could do manchester league and or fa too from wigan.

Starting point your chosen county website for details of courses.

I started at 36 - it's the perfect age ;-). I'm going for 7-6 promotion next year and hope to go to 5 or 4 (I have a job that will limit my ability to put in the hours to go further I think)

@James Long has it pretty much covered - though it's only 5 games now after the course - then an exam. I went straight into adult football and there were some tough momements at the start - but if you can take the pressure and have the ability to reflect on your performance without getting too discouraged I think it accelerates your learning compared to youth, but that's just me.

I do 1 or 2 middles a week and I also do one AR at higher league a week. AR for a higher level ref has been a great learning as you can watch another do their thing.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Are you sure you didn't mean Neil Swarbrick who was reffing the man united game today?He started reffing at the
Age of 29!

Hi guys.

I have been wanting to referee for some time but thought myself as too old (36) Then i was watching the Millwall match today where the referee only started at 39... So I thought I would look into in and get myself started.
I live in Wigan, so I guess either Lancashire FA or Cheshire FA or both? I would like to progress and attempt to go as far as i can. Can you guys give me any pointers. contacts or information? I am looking at doing the referees course as early as possible, I think Cheshire has one in february...
Thanks in advance
I passed my referee course at the ripe old age of 49..... only problem i have is the zimmer frame getting stuck in the mud

I think I started at about 39, I did it initially to help my sons team out, after they didn't get the decisions the wanted (basically I did it fairly) I moved on to adult football around 41, 9 years on, never been assessed, never wanted to be assessed, no need or wanting for promotion.
In my head I could ref a conference game but I haven't got the time, energy or inclination to ever go for it. I'd offer help to anyone that asked but my days are numbered as this is clearly a younger mans game!

If you go onto either counties website that will give you an idea on training. Most people from Wigan way will join Lancashire but you can be an affilliated to Chrshire too.
I'd reccomend first season getting some junior football under your belt varying ages before hitting the adult leagues. But thats just how I did it - do what you feel comfortable
You'll do the course. Then you're a level 9 until you complete 6 games with mentoring. At your age you will then jump to level 7. You can then apply to be promoted. I honestly reccomend getting SOME football under your belt first although assessments are fantastic learning and development tools.
There's loads of juniour leagues and plenty supply leagues. I think you could do lancs league or cheshire league. Cheshire league goes as far as winstanley and billinge st helens to malpas being your furthest trip. Suppose you could do manchester league and or fa too from wigan.

Starting point your chosen county website for details of courses.
The course lasts 2 full days and 2 evenings. Costs around £120 depending on what your County adds in for free and what they charge for add-ons (DBS, Safeguarding Children, 1st season registration). Your course will not teach you the Laws of the Game, it will teach you how to apply them in situational training. At the end of the course, you will be assessed by your tutors to decide whether you are considered able to referee. This will take place over a short period of you refereeing a game.

You will probably be provided with the contact details for all the leagues in your County and it is your responsibility to contact them, although some Counties invite leagues in. You have to referee 5 (FIVE NOT 6) games and you will be invited back to a Callback Evening during which you will sit your examination on the Laws of the Game.

Until you pass that examination you are not qualified. Be wary of thinking you can turn up and attend the course/sit the exam without any work on learning the Laws. If you do that you will fail the examination and you will not receive your qualification. I am sure however with your life experience and live of football, you will put in the hard work and be successful. Good luck.

The course lasts 2 full days and 2 evenings. Costs around £120 depending on what your County adds in for free and what they charge for add-ons (DBS, Safeguarding Children, 1st season registration). Your course will not teach you the Laws of the Game, it will teach you how to apply them in situational training. At the end of the course, you will be assessed by your tutors to decide whether you are considered able to referee. This will take place over a short period of you refereeing a game.

You will probably be provided with the contact details for all the leagues in your County and it is your responsibility to contact them, although some Counties invite leagues in. You have to referee 5 (FIVE NOT 6) games and you will be invited back to a Callback Evening during which you will sit your examination on the Laws of the Game.

Until you pass that examination you are not qualified. Be wary of thinking you can turn up and attend the course/sit the exam without any work on learning the Laws. If you do that you will fail the examination and you will not receive your qualification. I am sure however with your life experience and live of football, you will put in the hard work and be successful. Good luck.
Sorry Brian, it has changed a tad since I started. :)

Back