A&H

Got a good micro tip from my assessor on the weekend

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
So I am really enjoying the little things.

This weekend the most memorable tip I was given was at the start of the build up to a corner, start central and a slight distance from the box, then start an unpredictable run into your desired position around the box as the corner taker starts their run.

Reason for this, is players will glance for where you are at the start of the corner routine, and if they are smart or experienced they will try and start their shenanigans where they think you cannot see.

Just a cool little tip that I thought was worth sharing.

The Referee Store
Great tip. The tip I had a long while ago extended this to most restarts, especially throw ins. An added reason is that if you are already on the move as the restart is being taken and you have to be in a new position, you can get there faster.

Yes, good tip.

Don’t stand rooted. A legs apart, rooted stance encourages craning. If you are moving it’s much easier to find a new viewing angle, see past players.

Starting briefly where the players can see you - when working alone - also useful.

I got a similar micro tip last week. At a couple of corners there were no players at the penalty spot, everyone, like 17, in the goal area. I had NARs. Observer reminded me better position than corner of the D is move into the box a little. And - especially with comms - get the other AR to watch your back.

Tried implementing this tactic yesterday. I felt so uncomfortable doing it.

Hopefully it will feel more natural with time.

Just feel I am concentrating so much on timing my run that I'm not paying as much attention in the box.

Tried implementing this tactic yesterday. I felt so uncomfortable doing it.

Hopefully it will feel more natural with time.

Just feel I am concentrating so much on timing my run that I'm not paying as much attention in the box.
On a corner, your starting and ending position should be based on 2 things; where the players are and where the ball ends up

When the corner kick taker is setting up, have a look to see where the players are stood. If everyone is at the front post, there’s no point you being stood at the very far side of the penalty area as your starting position. Also bear in mind the skill level. If it’s Sunday league, quite often the corners won’t go beyond the front post…..

Main thing is, don’t stay static. When the ball is moving, so should you. And don’t ball watch, your main focus is the bus stop of players inside the penalty area

To me this is one of those “don’t overthink it” situations. We move to optimize position all the time. This really isn’t different. It isn’t a run you need to time so much as observing players, deciding the angle you want, and shifting to that position. The players aren’t focussed on us at this point. They may glance, but they are focussed on the opponent they have to deal with.

All the advice we get about movement at corners is generally nonsense
Needless movement to suit the observer's agenda
If you want to think of it as movement for movement’s sake, sure, look at it that way. but that is it the point. The point is to not be a bump on a log but to be moving to the best position to see the likely hot points as you see how The play is likely to develop.

All the advice we get about movement at corners is generally nonsense
Needless movement to suit the observer's agenda
Gotta call it as it is Santa. No point beating about the bush. Don't see elite refs scuttling all over the shop (at corners) just for the hell of it (for those brownie points from dinosaur observers)

Gotta call it as it is Santa. No point beating about the bush. Don't see elite refs scuttling all over the shop at corners, just for the hell of it
Once comms are involved, it will change a bit. The expectation is that the AR would look after the front/back post. So this means the referee needs less movement as they aren’t looking at the full picture as though you would without comms.

I've done it in 3 games now.

I seem to be getting the hang of just being on my toes and being where people don't really expect me to be.

Had a few where I slow jog into the box then it gets hoofed up field by the defender on first contact and I need to shift my momentum to start my sprint to the other end of the pitch. Whilst I think if I was planted on the edge as before I could see the clearance coming. But again, with a few more games under my belt, all will become more natural.

I've done it in 3 games now.

I seem to be getting the hang of just being on my toes and being where people don't really expect me to be.

Had a few where I slow jog into the box then it gets hoofed up field by the defender on first contact and I need to shift my momentum to start my sprint to the other end of the pitch. Whilst I think if I was planted on the edge as before I could see the clearance coming. But again, with a few more games under my belt, all will become more natural.
So you don’t necessarily need to move into the area. Depending on where the drop zone is, sideways movement on the edge of the area may suffice. But it’s entirely down to how the corner is setup and taken. Try not to think you need to move into the actual area for the sake of it.

In regards to needing to shift your momentum, this is all part of your fitness. If you want to progress, there are going to be times where you need to be able to almost pivot on the spot and get moving.

Once comms are involved, it will change a bit. The expectation is that the AR would look after the front/back post. So this means the referee needs less movement as they aren’t looking at the full picture as though you would without comms.
Yeh well, I'm inclined to experiment with lots of ideas over hundreds of games and reach my own conclusions about what works best for me, rather than be told what doesn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, I do move a bit to get a good view (in all games), but it's only when the observer is there that I have to endure the distraction of doing what doesn't work for me

Yeh well, I'm inclined to experiment with lots of ideas over hundreds of games and reach my own conclusions about what works best for me, rather than be told what doesn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, I do move a bit to get a good view (in all games), but it's only when the observer is there that I have to endure the distraction of doing what doesn't work for me
Years ago I’d agree with you that you would have to do things to suit the observer. Those main things would be positioning at corners, goal kicks etc; as there was a fairly uniform and expected position to be in.

These days you can almost stand wherever you please, as long as you can justify to the observer why you were there. You might still get the odd old school observer who will want you to stand on the goal line for corners (as an example) but these should be very few and far between.

I think I am too new to the game to really have a dog (no offence cat) in the fight. Just taking the feedback on board right now.

If I hear something ludicrous sure, I would probably argue. But right now the observers know their stuff.

They gave this explanation for wanting to move around near the box and it made a lot of sense.

Players will figure out where you are and if they want, they can drag their studs on a players calf or strongly hold their opponents shirt pinning them to the ground.

You might think you would spot this, but the whole point is if a player is good at it, they will do their best so you don't.

Players will figure out where you are and if they want, they can drag their studs on a players calf or strongly hold their opponents shirt pinning them to the ground.

You might think you would spot this, but the whole point is if a player is good at it, they will do their best so you don't.
Straight out of an observer's fiction novel that
Do what works for you anyway. No biggie

I do chuckle as an observer when I see referees moving all over the place as a corner is about to be taken, especially as more often than not they are moving for the sake of it and not for any kind of purpose. I don't want to see them in the same place every time, but equally I don't want to see them moving needlessly before the corner has even been taken.

I'm more likely to pick a referee up for not reading where the players are. I saw one game where all of the big attacking players had gone near post yet the referee took up a traditional position on the far side of the penalty area. It was obvious where the ball was going, especially as it was a left footer from the right wing so an inswinging corner (see below) but the referee didn't read this at all.

This is a tip I got given by an ex Premier League referee. Statistically inswinging corner tend to land near post whereas outswinging corners tend to go deeper. I was sceptical when he told me this, but then started to look at it and he was spot on, and I started to go near post for some inswinging corners and then move across the D as the ball was in the air if it went deeper.

Back