A&H

Handling dissent

Ori

So I’ve been reffing for just over a year and I think I made a mistake last match.

I was giving a caution for dissent to a player and he was laughing while I was explaining it to him. I asked his name and number he proceeded to lie about his number and grinned.

I sent showed him the yellow and sent him to the sun bin (u18 match)

Should I have sent him off instead for trying to deceive me with his number? If yes would it be a second yellow there and then?

The Referee Store
It wouldn't be a 2nd yellow. It would be considered as an offence whilst in the sin bin so he takes no further part, but it is not sent off.

To be honest I wouldnt treat it as a 2nd yellow offence. I'd take the name, ask if him if he is sure, as he isn't on the teamsheet? Take the name and then submit the name to the county FA adding an extraordinary report to the FA and to the league about fielding a player not named on team sheet.
If he does give you the correct name then still report the first fake name in case he was ineligible and he forgot who he was supposed to be

Up to you what your tolerance level is. I wouldn't personally have risen to his behaviour instead I would have waited until he serves his 10 minutes then the next time he comes to my attention I would be looking to YC him which hopefully means he then shuts up for rest of the game.

Back