A&H

Hello From Drizzly Northampton!

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Hello everyone!

I've been refereeing since February and have become very comfortable with the process and the learning curve.

I referee three games every week, 2 adults, 1 youth – and so far, my abuse count is predominantly with the youth (honestly, if I’d said some of these words – I would have felt the belt! Haha)

I've had some great help from local referees and friends-of-friends who are referees, but thought, for the rest of my (more trivial/embarrassing) questions, id look online.

I heard of a mentor program somewhere in the Northants FA, but I couldn’t find much detail – and have decided ill take the collective knowledge of this site instead :D

I passed my course over in Peterborough under Rob (very passionate teacher!) and had already invested £370 into it before I even had my first game!

I've recently replaced my second-hand-ebay-special Umbro Kit with a new Nike outfit from SportingTouch… (Then one week later was sent a promotional email for the exact kit in a ‘Special Offer’ for £12 cheaper!)

Just my luck.

But even though I've been accosted, verbally abused by children – I'm yet to lose passion for it – and enjoy the run around the FoP each weekend!

The Referee Store
FYI

(Im sure someone will point out where ive over paid haha... But might be helpful to anyone just starting and wondering what a good/ish price is)

Football Pressure Gauge £7.99
Black Football Boots £30.00
Contrast Referee Socks x3 £13.50
Sock Holders £3.50
Football Pump & Spare Pins £7.49
Adidas Shoe Bag £5.99
Adidas Football Holdall £19.99
Referee Card Wallet £2.97
Official FA Referee Shirt & Shorts £38.50
Official FA Referee Fleece £23.45
ACME Tornado Referees Whistle £5.99
FOX 40 Referees Whistle £3.75
Assistant Referee Flags £11.40
Match Ref Cards £6.20
Referee Thin Pencils £2.75
Referees Watch £31.75
Spare Watch £16.99
Black Base Layer £18.49
Coin £1.15
Complete First Aid Kit £12.00
Course Fee £110
£273.85

Hello everyone!

I've been refereeing since February and have become very comfortable with the process and the learning curve.

I referee three games every week, 2 adults, 1 youth – and so far, my abuse count is predominantly with the youth (honestly, if I’d said some of these words – I would have felt the belt! Haha)

I've had some great help from local referees and friends-of-friends who are referees, but thought, for the rest of my (more trivial/embarrassing) questions, id look online.

I heard of a mentor program somewhere in the Northants FA, but I couldn’t find much detail – and have decided ill take the collective knowledge of this site instead :D

I passed my course over in Peterborough under Rob (very passionate teacher!) and had already invested £370 into it before I even had my first game!

I've recently replaced my second-hand-ebay-special Umbro Kit with a new Nike outfit from SportingTouch… (Then one week later was sent a promotional email for the exact kit in a ‘Special Offer’ for £12 cheaper!)

Just my luck.

But even though I've been accosted, verbally abused by children – I'm yet to lose passion for it – and enjoy the run around the FoP each weekend!
Welcome to the rabble! Take it the Rob you speak of is Rob Windle? I took my course 17 years ago with Rob as the tutor, top bloke!! Course cost a lot less then though!! (Free :D)

Enjoy the site, don't be shy to ask any questions no matter how silly you think they are!

You bought a coin for £1.15?

Wanted something niche, so I went with the half crown. Big chunky - and the heads/tails is quite a nice design.

Is the first aid kit a necessity or nice to have?

I think most of the above is a 'nice to have' as ive never had to use them. But I was heavily advised to have the above just in case.

There was a segment of "Whats In A Refs Bag" and they went through it all... So I wrote it all down and sourced it.

The only thing im missing is electronic flags, which ive toyed with a while now - and yes, they have the potential to make me lazy - but I just feel unprofessional when I miss a flag (its a rarity, but having "Ref, look at your f'ing Linesman" shouted at you really takes the jam out of professionalism donut)

Course fee £110 ........!!!!!! things have changed :eek:
45 yellows in 19 middles? Is that Yellow/Game rate considered 'normal' in your area?

I think the morality of yellow card giving will be in my soon-to-be-released list of silly questions. But that seems high? Two and half cards per game...

The only thing im missing is electronic flags, which ive toyed with a while now
45 yellows in 19 middles? Is that Yellow/Game rate considered 'normal' in your area?

1. Don't bother. Really not needed probably until you're at 4. I know some 4s who don't have them.
2. Predominantly adult football I would assume but 2.5 cards/game isn't too bad of a rate. If you take my adult games alone this season, I've had 4 middles and issued 18 yellows and 3 reds.

I've had 4 middles and issued 18 yellows and 3 reds.

Holy sheet. Thats immense!

I know I have a naughty challenge or two, but since Feb ive had probably had around 50-70 matches and ive given out 6 yellows and 0 reds.

I think people are just more tame around my parts... Or perhaps im more tame. But a stern talking to seems to stop most players ive met.

...Or their coach just immediately subs them off.

Holy sheet. Thats immense!

I know I have a naughty challenge or two, but since Feb ive had probably had around 50-70 matches and ive given out 6 yellows and 0 reds.

I think people are just more tame around my parts... Or perhaps im more tame. But a stern talking to seems to stop most players ive met.

...Or their coach just immediately subs them off.

Youth football or adult football, though?

No offence whatsoever intended but if you're at adult football and you've given just 6 yellows in 50 matches I'd be seriously wondering how the f*** you manage that... I mean even at youth level that's pretty damn amazing

Wanted something niche, so I went with the half crown. Big chunky - and the heads/tails is quite a nice design.

I think most of the above is a 'nice to have' as ive never had to use them. But I was heavily advised to have the above just in case.

There was a segment of "Whats In A Refs Bag" and they went through it all... So I wrote it all down and sourced it.

The only thing im missing is electronic flags, which ive toyed with a while now - and yes, they have the potential to make me lazy - but I just feel unprofessional when I miss a flag (its a rarity, but having "Ref, look at your f'ing Linesman" shouted at you really takes the jam out of professionalism donut)

I think the morality of yellow card giving will be in my soon-to-be-released list of silly questions. But that seems high? Two and half cards per game...
Nope its not normal ....im just an Arsehole.....or so im told ;)

Reactions: ELP
No offence whatsoever intended but if you're at adult football and you've given just 6 yellows in 50 matches I'd be seriously wondering how the f*** you manage that... I mean even at youth level that's pretty damn amazing

Its a big mix, but at the start, it was very junior and very low level, lot of womens football too, which - not sounding offensive at all - they dont really go in for crunchers - it tends to be more civilized.

I think I mentioned above, but I always give a player a firm talking to warning on their first offense and that tends to clear it up. Ive just looked and ive given out 9 - and thats in just below 50 matches that I started recording. So yes, this is very low compared to you guys.

Might just be the area in which I officiate - but I think ill re-asses. Ive now posted my "Questions" in the new referee section, so hopefully, if some of them are cleared up, I might start dishing more out.

PS Whats the cost of a yellow? I heard someone complain that "Reds have gone up" and that they cost £35-40 to the player themselves?

Also, I get a lot of post-match-begging, asking me not to put the yellows through. Is this normal? I never agree, I always tell them that they have to stand.

Dont worry about the cost to the players, start doing that and you will end up in all sorts of problems. Teams and players are well aware of the fines, that is their concern and nothing to do with the referee.

It's not unusual to be asked not to put in cards. Say yes they all go in and don't get into any further discussion about it.

In terms of cautions and sending offs, you're the one on the pitch. If you believe you have done your job and upheld the laws of the game, then fine. Numbers aren't important. Unless your on commission from your CFA! :D

Fines for Red cards depend on the offence - low end for DOGSO, or 2nd Caution to Spitting and serious violent conduct at the extreme end. Any ways we (Northampton RA) meet the First Thurdsday of every month at the Wootton WMC, just off Church Hill.

The association has two current PGMO members amongst others so it's a decent place (like this) for talking things through. I know geographically I'm the opposite end of the county but it's worthwhile.

Any ways we (Northampton RA) meet the First Thurdsday of every month at the Wootton WMC, just off Church Hill.

Ah, another Northamptonian. Yes, I joined the RA (in March-April, so dont know if I have to pay again already for this year, or that *was* for this year?)

I went to one on my first couple of weeks, although this was at the police station. (Which I live about 3 minutes away from).

It was a nice place, but short of "Does anyone want to stand up in front of anyone and ask any basic/newbie questioned whilst simultaneously being judged by everyone in the room" there wasnt really much opportunity for me to ask questions.

You'll have seen me stand up then in the garish mustard yellow shirt. Ex-Treasurer for Wellingborough RA and all that

Back