A&H

Hi guys

A&H International
What level game is it?

If we're saying a grassroots, Saturday game.

14-14:15: Arrival, introduction to managers
14:15-14:30: Prepare kit, check the pitch
14:30-14:45: Get changed for warm up, and then warm up!
14:45-14:50: Leave pitch and change into match kit
1450:-14:55: Take equipment, match ball etc.
14:55-15:00: Head to pitch and KO

That's my general framework for when I have changing rooms. Often I get side tracked in conversation, or can't find anyone to chat to so sit tight in my dressing room and will probably busy myself for 10 or so mins.

It all depends on the level to be frank, youth will require less, non-league (semi-pro) requires more.

Local League, bottom tier

Arrive 14:15 - 14:30: meet managers, ask how season is going, ask if they have team sheets, ask if they have flags and assistants, quickly tell them to tell assistants only outs and offsides. Check balls (I have my own pump/gauge so will top up their bag of balls), walk around pitch, see if the pitch has any crap parts worth mentioning to the captains, and check nets.
Usually wearing tracksuit over referee kit, so just strip pitch side and put my boots on there, grab my equipment. Dump all my stuff there also.
Stretch a little, raise my heart rate a little.
14:55: Whistle for captains, tell them to work with me. Flip the coin and let the traveling side pick heads or tails

@george.g no idea why, but Facebook has had you in my recommended friends for the last 2/3 months, and it has been driving me crazy where I recognise you from. Then I clicked, this forum hahaa!

@george.g no idea why, but Facebook has had you in my recommended friends for the last 2/3 months, and it has been driving me crazy where I recognise you from. Then I clicked, this forum hahaa!
World famous I am! My new profile picture must’ve tied it off for you. Must have some mutual friends along the way I imagine..?

I feel like we can't escape sometimes! Last month apparently I was coming up on several people's twitter/X feeds, to the point where a few actually asked if it was me.
ask how season is going,
You obviously have more experience than I do, but I tend to avoid this in case people start saying that you favour the better side if you make a mistake etc. Not important at this level to be honest though!

I tend to avoid this in case people start saying that you favour the better side if you make a mistake etc. Not important at this level to be honest though!
I do check full-time before games to get an understanding of how important a fixture it is etc.

I will always comment. I am also never one to hold back if the other team are massive favourites. "They've had 5 big wins in a row, good luck hahaa"

Never had anyone get upset at that point. Just always choose your words carefully and keep it respectful and fairly neutral.

I do check full-time before games to get an understanding of how important a fixture it is etc.

I will always comment. I am also never one to hold back if the other team are massive favourites. "They've had 5 big wins in a row, good luck hahaa"

Never had anyone get upset at that point. Just always choose your words carefully and keep it respectful and fairly neutral.
I do check full time because the teams don't know I've done that. It's direct conversation where I like to be careful, although in big games I do tend to say something.

Just a quick question what flags do you use
I have the Sunday league pair of flags for club AR’S then I have the non buzzer touch line ones for actuall AR’S
What one do you have
Thank you
Tom

Just a quick question what flags do you use
I have the Sunday league pair of flags for club AR’S then I have the non buzzer touch line ones for actuall AR’S
What one do you have
Thank you
Tom
If the Sunday league ones are the really cheap ones, I use those. I have non-buzzer touchlines on the way though, as well as a new Molten Dolphin F whistle to change things up from the standard Fox 40 classic, without having to spend 2/3 match fees on the Valkeen.

Bought the Dolphin F this season. Love it 🐬 😍
I find the Fox 40 classic a bit boring tbh. Also, it gets very confusing at venues where you sometimes have 10 kids matches on at once and we all have the same whistle! Thought I'd prevent that.

Back