A&H

Holding Shin Guard in Hand

jayjay

A player' shin guard accidently fell off. He picked it up and kept it in his hand (with the intention of putting it on when possible). While it's in his hand, he participates in play (intercepts the ball). The referee gave an indirect free kick against him. Is this the correct decision?

The Referee Store
Not where I thought this post was going when I saw the title...

Referee was incorrect

"A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as
soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play;
if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is
awarded."

You can make an argument that he's taking a dangerous action by playing without a shin guard and/or by "brandishing" a piece of hard plastic in the vicinity of an opponents head, which would justifiably be a IFK (and possible YC?). But that's not reasonable or expected in my eyes for anything less than going in for a tackle - an unopposed interception isn't putting you in any more danger than jogging down the street.

Not where I thought this post was going when I saw the title...

Referee was incorrect

"A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as
soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play;
if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is
awarded."
The referee explained that having the shin guard in hand while the he participated in play led to the decision (indirect freekick).

You can make an argument that he's taking a dangerous action by playing without a shin guard and/or by "brandishing" a piece of hard plastic in the vicinity of an opponents head, which would justifiably be a IFK (and possible YC?). But that's not reasonable or expected in my eyes for anything less than going in for a tackle - an unopposed interception isn't putting you in any more danger than jogging down the street.
But we have seen players score goals while holding a bottle of water in hand.

I see this quite a lot due to low socks and tiny shin pads.

The rule in my head is if they are playing the ball, and no one is around or challenging them play on.

The second they challenge or are in a position to be challenged IDFK against them. Dangerous play.

If I'm wrong, happy to be corrected.

On what basis in Law would you reverse the goal?
Good question.

I am not sure it says in the LotG but water bottles are not allowed on the field during play. ”Drinks breaks” and players drinking during stoppages are managed by AR1 (or 4th) to ensure bottles do not come/stay on the field (and players do not leave).

The LotG does not mention playing carrying water bottles, but then it doesn’t mention samurai swords or rucksacks either.

I’d go with safety: “A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous.”

If I am AR on a national league match (UK step 3 up equivalent maybe) and I let a player continue carrying a water bottle I’d expect a major error from an observer;)

I am not sure it says in the LotG but water bottles are not allowed on the field during play. ”Drinks breaks” and players drinking during stoppages are managed by AR1 (or 4th) to ensure bottles do not come/stay on the field (and players do not leave).
I don’t think this is correct. A player does not have to wait for a stoppage to get a drink. They typically do, for obvious reasons, but if a player goes to the touch line during play and someone hands him a bottle to drink from, he’s done nothing wrong. GKS do this.

I do agree with you that no player should be running around with a water bottle, and the R should stop it. And I would stop play if necessary to get the bottle off the field. (But I can’t think of a reason in Law that the restart would be anything other than a DB.)

But that is different from what you do I’d the player did have a water bottle, took a shot, and scored. If play wasn’t stopped before the goal because the R wanted the bottle off the field, I don’t think there is a basis in Law to to disallow the goal.

I don’t think this is correct. A player does not have to wait for a stoppage to get a drink. They typically do, for obvious reasons, but if a player goes to the touch line during play and someone hands him a bottle to drink from, he’s done nothing wrong. GKS do this.

I do agree with you that no player should be running around with a water bottle, and the R should stop it. And I would stop play if necessary to get the bottle off the field. (But I can’t think of a reason in Law that the restart would be anything other than a DB.)

But that is different from what you do I’d the player did have a water bottle, took a shot, and scored. If play wasn’t stopped before the goal because the R wanted the bottle off the field, I don’t think there is a basis in Law to to disallow the goal.
GKs drinking in play?
It’s asking for trouble- and a great quiz question;)

Back