A&H

How long to reach the top?

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
I've been refereeing for about a year which is long enough for me to decide I want to go all the way. I'm curious how long it takes to reach each level and are there any tips and tricks I can use to get ahead of the game? Also I turn 16 in Jan so I'm planning on joining county league for middles and my local supply league for lines (after asking around I understand I can do this as level 7).

The Referee Store
If you're good enough and you fly through the levels, 8 years to be reffing football league, 10 premier league.

No one does it THAT quickly in reality obviously...and much more often than not you'll find your level much lower down the pyramid

For now, ignore aspirations of refereeing at the top level and take the time to learn 'the trade' properly. Experience really is the only top tip I can suggest and there is absolutely no rush.

I've been refereeing for about a year which is long enough for me to decide I want to go all the way. I'm curious how long it takes to reach each level and are there any tips and tricks I can use to get ahead of the game? Also I turn 16 in Jan so I'm planning on joining county league for middles and my local supply league for lines (after asking around I understand I can do this as level 7).
It really depends on how good you are. With the new mid season promotions it is theoretically possible to be L4 in 18 months, and and on the football league in 3.5 years.
That would take exceptional talent and some serious luck, of course.

Good question, as it has changed this season. It used to be, assuming no accelerated or mid-season promotions, a minimum of 10 years to get to FIFA. You could now, in theory at least, get from 7 to 4 in a single season (not that it would be a very good idea), so with that, and mid-season promotions at higher levels if they keep them going forward, it could be much faster.

That was the main reason for the promotion changes brought in this season, the FA were very open that it took too long for referees to get to senior levels.

Ha fair, I forgot about mid-seasons...I'd still ignore any temptation to jump the levels as quickly as possible (min year at 7, 6 then 5)

Ha fair, I forgot about mid-seasons...I'd still ignore any temptation to jump the levels as quickly as possible (min year at 7, 6 then 5)
Totally agree with you on that. I am always glad I didn't get my 4 first time round. I wasn't ready and the extra experience at l5 was really needed.

Reactions: es1
Totally agree with you on that. I am always glad I didn't get my 4 first time round. I wasn't ready and the extra experience at l5 was really needed.

Lining is absolutely invaluable, especially on games with L4s in the middle, plenty to learn (or ignore) and gets you exposed to the levels of football you'll be reffing in years to come (if successful).

(Ignore me quoting you...)

Can you do mid-season 5-4 in some Counties? I know you can do 7-5 in one season under the new pathway (if you can get the games in)

I asked and my county said you can't, it's a full promotion year with promotion (if successful) at the end of the season.

I'll have my 5 by Christmas so asked about whether I could join 5-4 group for the second half of the season with a view to starting next season as a L4 and was told that it can't be done.

I'll have my 5 by Christmas so asked about whether I could join 5-4 group for the second half of the season with a view to starting next season as a L4 and was told that it can't be done.

Complications with the FA's Fitness test deadlines, and their online seminar events mean that it's not currently possible to do 7-4 in one season I believe, and a ridiculous push for 6-4.

I've just realised about 20 odd minutes ago that the initial 7-5 I hoped for this season won't be possible, due to being too young to drive, and having a nightmare with moving houses and availability, so looking to take on as much experience as I can, and slowly work my way up.

Keep in mind that getting to the PL as a ref is about the same difficulty as getting there as a player. The demands at the top are physical as well as mental. By no means am I saying don’t go for it, but be careful about getting too far ahead of yourself. It’s a long hard road from being a first year ref to getting to the top.

a few suggestions as you chase (and take them with a grain of salt, as I’m not in the UK)
  • Get a mentor to advise you and hopefully watch you
  • watch other refs who are a bit ahead of you on the path (sometimes watching the very top is less helpful in developing; in the US you kid naturally do this by being an AR, but y’all do a lot less of that in the UK)
  • every time you watch another ref, watch for both good and bad—youncan learn good things to do even from refs who aren’t as good as you are, as we all have different strengths
  • don’t listen to people who have THE answer on how to do things; we all have different personalities and strengths, and we need to do the things that work for us, not the things that work for someone else
  • keep a journal of every game, and after EVERY game, write down at least one thing youkre taking away from the game for the future (it can be something that worked, something you wish you’d tried, or a mistake you don’t want to make again. But every game, at least one thing. (And rarely, if ever, more than three.)
  • when you have an easy game (e.g. a lower level than you usually do), pick ONE thing that you are going to work on that day. It can be about positioning, or signals, or how you whistle, or how you communicate with p,Ayer’s, but always take advantage of those easier games. They aren’t boring, they are learning opportunities
  • read the LOTG. Read the again. And read them again. Not just once, but every year. Know that you know them upside down and sideways.
  • have fun!

Great post @socal lurker *. I'll also add to the list:

* Know the observation requirements and competencies at the various levels as you progress, tick the easy boxes
* Get your admin absolutely spot-on. Close dates, never be late, communicate... and show your face at meetings
* A season or two (or three) at the same level can / will be an advantage to your development, not a sign of stagnation

(* only just realised you're SOCAL as in Southern California not a 'SOCIAL Lurker'. I'm such a melon, haha)

Where I am there is another essential requirement for swift promotion: be a great teammate.

Word spreads fast if you are an a***. It spreads slower if people warm to you - but it’s vital in a relatively small community. If are always constructive with criticism, ask good questions and don’t annoy your colleagues, it will help!

Can you do mid-season 5-4 in some Counties?

The FA refereeing dept had a meeting to decide on this (for all counties) this morning. There will be an announcement in the next week or so. It sounds like it's going to be a yes, for all counties, but possibly with conditions attached.

Where would I find the info/ announcement about this?
The FA refereeing dept had a meeting to decide on this (for all counties) this morning. There will be an announcement in the next week or so. It sounds like it's going to be a yes, for all counties, but possibly with conditions attached.

Where would I find the info/ announcement about this?
Your county will be told I would guess within a week. However, if you are a level 8 as your profile suggests this is not pertinent to you, we are talking about 5->4 promotions.

I know, I turn 16 this season and am going for 7-6 I’m just planning ahead and looking at options for the next season or two.

I know, I turn 16 this season and am going for 7-6 I’m just planning ahead and looking at options for the next season or two.
You can't plan that far ahead. If they do mid-season promotions this season that is no guarantee it will happen in future ones.

Back