A&H

How to stop and restart play after a simulation?

newref

Hello guys. If there is a simulation by a player, but then after the simulation his team mate retrieves the ball and has an opportunity to score. Should you allow the attack to continue and then book the player for simulation when the play stops OR do you stop play immediately after the simulation and give the opposing team an indirect free kick for simulation and book the player there and then?

The Referee Store
Hello guys. If there is a simulation by a player, but then after the simulation his team mate retrieves the ball and has an opportunity to score. Should you allow the attack to continue and then book the player for simulation when the play stops OR do you stop play immediately after the simulation and give the opposing team an indirect free kick for simulation and book the player there and then?
If a player is guilty of simulation, then you should stop play unless there is a clear advantage to the non-offending team. Very unlikely that you ever play advantage from. Simulation, but you would allow play to continue and a administer the caution at the next stoppage

In your example, an offence has been committed and there is no advantage to the non offending team so you must stop play and issue the caution immediately.

Thanks for that. Got it. Makes sense according to the law. However, practically I've seen so many times when a player dives trying to win a free kick, the referee does not give the foul and allows the team of the offended player to continue playing on. Whereas by law like you said it should have been stopped. Also I wanted to ask do you restart play? Would it be via an indirect free kick or dropped ball? as I could not find it specifically in law 12.

This is not just for simulation. The only time you allow play to continue after ANY offence is if there is an advantage to the the non offending team.

The error you mention in your post #3 is even more common after dissent. I've seen too many referees caution the dissenter only after the ball goes out of play for no apparent reason.

Restart of play is IFK. Law 12 is poorly worded "
• commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player" this is meant to say when the restart is not mentioned.

Last edited:
The restart would be an indirect free kick as there is no contact.
Whilst simulation is not specifically mentioned as IDFK or DFK I think it is inferred by the language used around dfks involving contact and physical offences.

Back