A&H

Howard Webb - the autobiography

RefereeingBooks

Hi,

Just noticed on Amazon.co.uk that Howard Webb's autobiography "The Man in the Middle" (not a particularly original title, seeing as David Elleray and before him Merv Griffiths (for the latter, see my review here) also used it) will be published in October of this year. The blurb on Amazon does nothing much to excite me - looks like another run-of-the-mill referee biography - but I'm curious to read it anyway, if only to add the title to my collection. What about you? Will you order a copy?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
He attended a local RA meeting a few years back and had some amusing tales to tell.

Never seem to get time to read the books I have, that said its my birthday in November......

It depends on whether he is free to put in the "interesting" stuff about his career.

:)

Otherwise, why bother?

It depends on whether he is free to put in the "interesting" stuff about his career.

Otherwise, why bother?
He doesn't work for the FA or PGMOL so I don't see how he could be censored. Unless PGMOL tried to do what they did with Halsey and block publication, but that would be very risky when dealing with someone who is regarded as one of the England's best ever referees. They were able to label Halsey as some kind of maverick, and he didn't rise to the highest international levels, the same couldn't be said of Webb.

He had a two-hour interview a few months ago on the Referees World podcast, which did make me curious to learn more about him than is already out there. I hope he will be able to disclose those 'interesting' bits, yes, but also that he will incorporate inspiring, useful, valuable tips and tricks of the trade for young, aspiring refs. Otherwise I'm afraid it will be another bland attempt to cash in on name recognition.

@jofusref: Thanks for pointing out Kevin Lynch's autobiography. I purchased a copy, now reading it and enjoying it very much! Can see why you liked it. I'll put up a review on my site some time soon.

The one "tip" that has stood out in my mind from the presentation he gave was this.

It happened in a UEFA Cup match. Attacker scored and it "seemed" to Howard, half the crowd and the oppo that attacker had handled the ball to score. However as Howard had not actually seen hand/arm to ball and AR who was in best position to see had not indicated anything was wrong, he gave the goal.

This occurred just before half time, so as ARs jogged over to him when the half ended, Howard thought he best warn them that there might be a "reaction" from team who had conceded the goal. AR who was closest to incident, looked puzzled and said to HR words to the effect of
"Ball was nowhere near his hand/arm - perfectly good goal"

His lesson NEVER give what you don't actually see.

He had a two-hour interview a few months ago on the Referees World podcast, which did make me curious to learn more about him than is already out there. I hope he will be able to disclose those 'interesting' bits, yes, but also that he will incorporate inspiring, useful, valuable tips and tricks of the trade for young, aspiring refs. Otherwise I'm afraid it will be another bland attempt to cash in on name recognition.

@jofusref: Thanks for pointing out Kevin Lynch's autobiography. I purchased a copy, now reading it and enjoying it very much! Can see why you liked it. I'll put up a review on my site some time soon.
a real referee telling it like it was, still one of my favourite ref autobiographies

Otherwise, why bother?
Well, just because, that's why ;)
Oh, and there's the fact that I collect referee memoirs and similar books. Minor consideration, granted, but still... :D

Reactions: SM
Back