A&H

I need some advice

Xavier

Today was a difficult game u14. One team was winning 8-0. In the last 5 miniutes the goalkeeper from the loosing team game out and handballed it clear dogso. But because of the age group and how they were being beaten 8-0 I thought he's had enough of a bad day. I gave the freekick and one the players from the wall hand balled it. Clear hand ball I gave the penalty. The goalkeeper then took the ball and booted it at one of the players from the winning team then the player returned it by booting the ball at the goalkeeper. Bot got yellow cards

My question is was this the right decision or should I have removed the goalkeeper becoase of the handball.

It was a game of constant provoking constant pushing and tripping from both teams. It was a matter of time before someone got a yellow.

The Referee Store
Unfortunately if it’s DOGSO, it’s DOGSO, whether a team is winning 2-1 or losing 8-0. I can see the argument for ignoring the sanction for an age group that doesn’t play 11v11 in this circumstance, but by U14 they’re old enough to know the rules and they should be enforced as accurately as possible.

By sending the goalkeeper off you prevent the situation afterwards where you had to issue two cautions. Such a situation sounds like it had potential to boil over. Sending the goalkeeper off seems like a big and potentially controversial call, but it’s a manageable situation, particularly if, like you said, it was clear.

Last edited:
I think the only option he left you was to send him off for the DOGSO unfortunately. I can appreciate feeling sympathy for a goalkeeper losing 8-0 (been that GK many times before!) but the laws are the laws and we can't pick and choose based on sympathy.

Another thing is if the game was "a matter of time before someone got a yellow" - take the opportunity to be strong and show the players you aren't going to stand for the nonsense. It can be difficult to card at a younger age group, but let's not pretend 14 year olds are young enough to not know the basics of pushing/pulling etc.

I also wonder if you issuing the red card would have calmed the players down a bit, potentially preventing the booting later on (and depending on the severity of the boot potentially a case for violent conduct and a sending off)?

The main thing however, is that you learn from it (which you are by asking here) and that you use this to improve and enjoy yourself even more in the future!

It was a game of constant provoking constant pushing and tripping from both teams. It was a matter of time before someone got a yellow.
This line is the most concerning for me...

What had you done to deal with this behaviour up until now? If it was constant I am struggling to see how we have got to minute 85 before issuing any warnings/sanctions.

And then when sanctions have been required (forgetting the above) we have either not given a sanction, or as written, given a more lenient sanction than I think is due.

You're absolutely right, had you sent the goalie for DOGSO then the following incident likely doesn't happen but I have to ask you to consider what had been allowed to happen up to that point and what you could have done to make an earlier intervention to the poor behaviour.

Look at it another way. These coaches and the league don’t want nonsene 25-0 results. But if you bend the rules to keep the score down you are stopping the league decision makers getting the right info.

Give the YCs, the RCs, if and when it finishes 25-0 - and it happens every week, then the league will fix it.

DOGSO at that age is high bar so was it nailed on if so red if not then you called it correct.
Two critical points for me (in addition to some great advice elsewhere in the thread). Firstly, as above, if it's 100% DOGSO, then, showing as much empathy as possible, just administer the correct sanction. However, if you can spot any wiggle room on any of the considerations, then grab that reason to go yellow instead. Secondly and more importantly, players booting the ball at each other sounds very much like Violent Conduct to me ... and these red cards are even more important to give in a world where player safety is our number one priority (especially in youth football)

Two critical points for me (in addition to some great advice elsewhere in the thread). Firstly, as above, if it's 100% DOGSO, then, showing as much empathy as possible, just administer the correct sanction. However, if you can spot any wiggle room on any of the considerations, then grab that reason to go yellow instead. Secondly and more importantly, players booting the ball at each other sounds very much like Violent Conduct to me ... and these red cards are even more important to give in a world where player safety is our number one priority (especially in youth football)
Thank you for your reply. I wouldn't say the booting of ball was overly aggressive or tried to really hurt each other I think it was just a matter that they had enough that day. I will take this game as a learning point

Back