A&H

Identical Twins

Darius

RefChat Addict
It's ace when one commits a foul and you're not sure which as they're standing right next to each other. And it was in the middle of a crowd it happened.

Wanted to caution wasn't sure which one (and couldn't see numbers) and didn't want to guess which! So could do nothing!

FWIW I found out after that if I had guessed I would've guessed wrong!

Do I get a LWR lecture or am I forgiven?

The Referee Store
"Right, either you two tell me who made the tackle or I'm going to randomly choose one of you to give the card to." If they won't offer the information up, then card one of them. The club can claim mistaken identity if it turns out to be wrong, but they'll have to give the name of whoever should've received the card.

I had a similar situation with a game earlier in the season in an U18 Ladies game (who by coincidence I've had again today).

They have two centre midfielders called Emma and Gemma, absolutely identical they are.

One made a tactical foul to hold up play on the half way line following a promising attack, just as the other came in straight after, and I decided to caution the offender, although I was unsure which one it was as I couldn't see their numbers.

As I looked in their direction I mumbled "yes please Emma".

Emma wasn't pleased "it wasn't me, it was Gemma". 'That's what I said, you must have misheard'.

Job done. :D

Last edited:
My kids are twins, fortunately it's easy to tell them apart as one is of the pink variety and the other is blue. :D

A game I ref'd for my son's team earlier this season, there were twins on the opposition side. Apart from the numbers on their back, visually identical even down to the same boots. Personality wise, very different as one was mute and didn't say a single word, whilst his brother never stopped talking/moaning the entire game! :confused:

My kids are twins, fortunately it's easy to tell them apart as one is of the pink variety and the other is blue. :D

A game I ref'd for my son's team earlier this season, there were twins on the opposition side. Apart from the numbers on their back, visually identical even down to the same boots. Personality wise, very different as one was mute and didn't say a single word, whilst his brother never stopped talking/moaning the entire game! :confused:

Your son is a smurf? :confused:

I cautioned two players in the same team who had the same name once.

Obviously I queried if 2nd player was giving me correct name and after he convinced me that he was, came out with the classic "Refs are always asking that" as if they both got booked on a regular basis!

Chris Foy (not Hoy!) had the fun time of refereeing Rafael & Fabio! Fabio made a foul, but Mr Foy cautioned Rafael by accident. 2 days later, via appeal for mistaken identity, the caution was correctly transferred to Fabio!

Future, caution one of them. If it's wrong, let them appeal with mistaken identity. If it's right, you've got it spot on!

Chris Foy (not Hoy!) had the fun time of refereeing Rafael & Fabio! Fabio made a foul, but Mr Foy cautioned Rafael by accident. 2 days later, via appeal for mistaken identity, the caution was correctly transferred to Fabio!

Future, caution one of them. If it's wrong, let them appeal with mistaken identity. If it's right, you've got it spot on!
Which is pretty much what Alex R-F said earlier. :)

Back