A&H

Interesting 0-0 match

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Well this was an unexpected result today Division 1 clash both teams level on points near bottom of table so could have gone either way... but it didn't....... 90 minutes of end to end football both teams hitting upright and crossbar and some very good goalkeeping by both keepers. One goal disallowed for offside,(my call not lino) player not happy with that decision earned himself a yellow for dissent.
One minute left on the watch home player crosses ball, team mate waiting in box, ball goes over keeper falls to waiting striker, all he's got to do is tap in a moving ball, and he thumps it over the crossbar....... play goes on then i blow for full time at 0-0 and player who missed the sitter gets some heavy abuse from his team mates...... Must admit i was knackered after all that but bloody well enjoyed it.

The Referee Store
In over 12 years of refereeing I have never been involved in a 0-0 game. Never as a player either.

It amazes me that you guys have never encountered 0-0 draws. I typically experience a couple a year between being a ref and a GK.

At professional/semi professional levels bookmakers normally offer between 6/1 - 9/1 for 0-0.

Given the chances of it actually happening are smaller (ie odds should be bigger) to allow for their profit at that level, you would "expect" a 0-0 every 8 - 10 games.

At grassroots you would expect odds to increase as defences not as good, so maybe 1 in 15 would be 0-0?

HOWEVER just looked at my local youth leagues results from Sunday and from 115 matches Under 12s to Under 18s there wasn't one 0-0!

At professional/semi professional levels bookmakers normally offer between 6/1 - 9/1 for 0-0.

Given the chances of it actually happening are smaller (ie odds should be bigger) to allow for their profit at that level, you would "expect" a 0-0 every 8 - 10 games.

At grassroots you would expect odds to increase as defences not as good, so maybe 1 in 15 would be 0-0?

HOWEVER just looked at my local youth leagues results from Sunday and from 115 matches Under 12s to Under 18s there wasn't one 0-0!
Just checked the results in our Sunday League and from the 26 games played in 7 divisions ( lot teams cup tied) my match was the only 0-0

Only ever had two 0-0 draws and they came in consecutive matches

Back