A&H

Iran v Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct quote from the VAR protocol:

I really do think it behooves us all, if we're going to have these repeated and lengthy discussions about VAR, to actually read the protocol. It would save a lot of quibbling over things that are already clearly stated therein.

I accept what it says. I disagree with the procedure but thats of course irrelevant. And am grateful for the information

The Referee Store
That's not what it actually says. It says it's red "unless the force used was negligible." You could have a player whose arm is outstretched and an opponent runs into it. So the player whose arm makes contact with the opponent's face has exerted no force whatsoever, yet you still have fairly significant contact. It's not the amount of contact, it's the amount of force used by the player in making the contact.

Again, the law doesn't talk about 'something' (or the overall challenge itself) being insignificant, it talks about the force used being negligible. For me you could have an incident where even though the amount of force used is negligible, the actions leading to the contact occurring could still be considered reckless - or constitute an act of unsporting behaviour.

I don't think that was the case here, just that theoretically it could be.
You are right about it not being 'something'. We are specifically talking about 'striking'. I'm am still struggling to understand a strike which uses negligible, insignificant, minimal force yet it is deemed reckless. If you are cautioning for some other action that happened at the same time (eg aggression) that is fine. But a reckless strike with negligible force is contradiction in terms for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back