A&H

Iraq vs Jordan - Aymen Hussein dismissal

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
Controversial sending off in this game. Iraq forward Aymen Hussein was sent off after getting a second yellow card for celebrating his goal by sitting down cross-legged on the field for a few seconds and pretending to eat.

What was interesting was that at least five Jordanian players went off the field to perform a choreographed celebration using exactly the same gesture after their first goal but none of them were cautioned.

Evidently the referee considered Hussein's celebration to be excessive (while the Jordanian players' apparently was not).

Some reports suggest that the referee took exception to what he saw as Hussein mocking the Jordanian celebration but we don't know that for sure since he hasn't commented on it (as far as I'm aware).

Thoughts? For instance, does mocking or taunting an opponent (assuming that's actually what he was doing, rather than just copying them) necessarily qualify as an excessive celebration?

I have to say it seemed harsh to me.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Thoughts? For instance, does mocking or taunting an opponent (assuming that's actually what he was doing, rather than just copying them) necessarily qualify as an excessive celebration?
It certainly does for generic USB for me regardless if a goal is scored or not. I have had many fights begining after a taunt.

Also not a fan of drawing conclusion on just watching a few seconds of videos in isolation.

From what I have read elsewhere, this was the end of a long delay, which might have generated a caution just for length. And I have seen suggestions that there was more that preceded the eating to make it more crude than just that part of the celebration suggested. I don’t know if it was right, but to get close to an answer, the fully context is going to be needed.

Ball went in the net at 75:20. The Iraqi player was sent off at about 76:35. He was booked while still in his celebration in the far corner of the stadium. He been on his haunches looking tired before he decided to wander over elsewhere to eat some grass.
Perhaps not the celebration itself but the length of it just after Iraq went up by one.

First booking at 45+3 seems to have been for dissent. What a way to go.

would anyone have booked Maupay for copying Maddison’s celebration?
Or Maddison for fronting.
Or Ricky-Dicky-Charlison for copying Maup copying Madders
?

Were any of these enough to trigger “acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way”?

What does football expect? We want a bit of banter, some comedy, we deffo draw the line at crowd incitement and Fowler-type offensive gestures… and I have one observer very sensitive to players flaming the oppo’s bench… but the OP not enough for me but YMMV

Back