A&H

is this the end of the season??

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So I've been having months of physio on an on going knee problem, able to do a Saturday and the swollen for a week and then drug myself up and then repeat.

Had an MRI scan at Christmas, and was mis-diagnosed with them saying nothing wrong with your knee (I begged to differ!!)
Finally got to see one of the best knee consultants in the country who reviewed the MRI scan, and confirmed I had in fact been running for the past 4 months with a torn meniscus (cartilage tear)
so booked in for the operation 31st March, and recovery time is 3-8 weeks.
I've closed the whole f April, but hoping to get back for the May fixtures.

Has anyone had this op ? (Arthroscopy)

one thing is for sure, I wont be rushing back, so if it's not right it's not right, just waiting to hear about my promotion this year, so there's nothing more I need to do for that.
Most frustrating thing is, my knee has swollen even more this week so have had to hand back a county cup semi final middle this weekend!

The Referee Store
My Mrs has had this (twice). On crutches for several weeks, would equate to about 6 weeks out if she played football!

My advice would be don't even think about doing more games this year. Get some post OP physio and only when they tell you it's OK to get back to running about do you start running / training again.

yes i had this about two and a half years ago after a particularly bad tackle (by me ! ) , there was a lot of cartilage damage including the meniscus, which was so bad the initial prognosis was that i'd be lucky to participate in any sport again (its a long story but there was a bit more to it than just the damage from the tackle). very upsetting at the time but the surgeon was marvellous, and said he'd do what he could... had the arthroscopy and was walking around reasonably normally after about 4 weeks or so ... i was back playing tennis within 6 months and football the following season
i'm now playing squash again too
my mrs had an atrhroscopy on her knee last year and was walking around pretty well the next day ! (much to my annoyance :))
think positive and believe you'll be in the 3 week recovery period rather than the 8 week end of the scale is my advice, it seems a pretty routine procedure and much less invasive than these things used to be

So I've been having months of physio on an on going knee problem, able to do a Saturday and the swollen for a week and then drug myself up and then repeat.

Had an MRI scan at Christmas, and was mis-diagnosed with them saying nothing wrong with your knee (I begged to differ!!)
Finally got to see one of the best knee consultants in the country who reviewed the MRI scan, and confirmed I had in fact been running for the past 4 months with a torn meniscus (cartilage tear)
so booked in for the operation 31st March, and recovery time is 3-8 weeks.
I've closed the whole f April, but hoping to get back for the May fixtures.

Has anyone had this op ? (Arthroscopy)

one thing is for sure, I wont be rushing back, so if it's not right it's not right, just waiting to hear about my promotion this year, so there's nothing more I need to do for that.
Most frustrating thing is, my knee has swollen even more this week so have had to hand back a county cup semi final middle this weekend!
In 2012 had Acute meniscal tear in right knee(anthroscopy), even now have moments when it gives and still doesn't feel right. Consultant told me it never heals 100% as the knees are used 24/7 so never gets time to heal properly..........

I had arthroscopy for a minor meniscus tear. The procedure was done under local anaesthetic and although they gave me a pair of crutches I didn't need them - I was able to walk out of the hospital unaided. I was able to jog after a couple of weeks but didn't go back to reffing for about two months. Every case is different, though - you can't generalise.

The shortest recovery for a professional player, as far as I'm aware, was Ally McCoist who made a return to first-team action less than two weeks after arthroscopic meniscal surgery.

Mine is under a general anaesthetic, I'm overweight and not fit so not expecting a 3 week recovery like my consultant advised, he's had it it done himself. But then he is Jonathan Webb ex England rugby international!!

Thanks for your input guys.

Back