A&H

Junior/Youth "Just hit him back!!"

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Had an incident in my U14s game this afternoon. White striker runs through and is dispossessed. No appeals for a foul but one parent (presumably his dad) asks for a foul and tells me to watch the hand as his son just got hit in the face. I ignored him and then he said to the player "Go on, hit him back!"
Next time the ball goes out of play, Injog over to him and tell him tbat anymore of that and he will be asked to leave. He responds by saying that he should do something seeing as I didn't. His manager then told him to button it.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
SM is probably right but I must admit I prefer to warn them to their faces because the managers tend to not want to upset a Parent of one of their players... Regardless, you did the right thing nipping it in the bud

SM is probably right but I must admit I prefer to warn them to their faces because the managers tend to not want to upset a Parent of one of their players... Regardless, you did the right thing nipping it in the bud
Not the best idea despite the satisfaction it brings. Go through a club official every time.

Totally disagree. The supporters are the home manager's responsibility. If the parent had walked on an lumped you one, you would get no sympathy from CFA, I suspect.

In my experience of noisy spectators 9/10 in the past when I've asked the manager to sort it - he hasn't really and I've had to get to the point of threatening to abandon... On the other hand when I've warned the antagonist to their face - they, more often than not, get the point.

And @HoofItYouDonkey I think if someone walked on the pitch and "lumped me one" I'm pretty sure my CFA would do something about it regardless of who I warned about their conduct.

In my experience of noisy spectators 9/10 in the past when I've asked the manager to sort it - he hasn't really and I've had to get to the point of threatening to abandon... On the other hand when I've warned the antagonist to their face - they, more often than not, get the point.

And @HoofItYouDonkey I think if someone walked on the pitch and "lumped me one" I'm pretty sure my CFA would do something about it regardless of who I warned about their conduct.
Yes, you are right, I'm sure they would overlook that, but I still think it's best to go via the home manager.

I suppose it depends where you're from - you obviously get more support from managers where you live... In my legues the managers tend to be just Chavy young lads or old men who think they're in the premier legue

Yes, you are right, I'm sure they would overlook that, but I still think it's best to go via the home manager.

Difficult one this.

My instinctive reaction would be to deal with the individual in person.
Don't forget, we're talking about a youth game here and the miscreant in question is a parent. The club in question will (presumably) have got him (and his son/daughter) to sign up to the RESPECT code of conduct and so he is personally bound by that obligation if nothing else. He's in direct contravention of that code by his behaviour and so needs dealing with directly. The club's involvement comes later when you submit your report surely?
In any event, protocol normally dictates that the coaches and parents are on opposite sides of the field and so trying to involve a coach/management in the discipline of a parent who is say, at least 45m away on the other side seems a bit pointless and probably futile.
I might get slated for saying this but: Man up and tell the parent to either cease immediately or send him away!! :cool:

Back