A&H

Keeper losing his mind

I'm often tempted to call a foul throw when a team knowingly takes a throw in from 30m closer to their own goal .. they are normally doing it precisely to gain an advantage and we knowingly turn a blind eye.
I wouldn't call a foul throw on them but I definitely pull them up before they take it if they're taking it miles from the wrong spot. Even if it's back towards their own goal line. You only have to ping them once or twice and then it doesn't happen for the rest of the game.

With p#sstaking GKs I warn them once then the next time they have the ball in hand I let it roll for 2 or 3 seconds and then I count '2, 3, 4, 5' nice, loud and slow so they get the hint. If they still want to pfaff about the 3rd time then that's on them.

I just think we shouldn't be calling things that are fundamentally unfair because it's a risk management strategy that suits us.

And no I am not a bloke that blows up every tiny thing looking for all the technical fouls to make it all about me. I just did our City's major semi on the weekend and dished out a solitary yellow for the match. I'd like to think that was good match management but it could've pure arse or a less than fiery match. Others can decide that.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I wouldn't call a foul throw on them but I definitely pull them up before they take it if they're taking it miles from the wrong spot. Even if it's back towards their own goal line. You only have to ping them once or twice and then it doesn't happen for the rest of the game.

With p#sstaking GKs I warn them once then the next time they have the ball in hand I let it roll for 2 or 3 seconds and then I count '2, 3, 4, 5' nice, loud and slow so they get the hint. If they still want to pfaff about the 3rd time then that's on them.

I just think we shouldn't be calling things that are fundamentally unfair because it's a risk management strategy that suits us.
I admire your bravery. I respect your opinion. Yet, with regret, I still wouldn't advise your overall approach to other referees

That's fine but in England it is very much a coached philosophy. Indeed we are even scored on a competency of match control of which this is a prime example of something which can adversely affect match control if not allowed to happen in the expected manner.
A good example of where it can be allowed was Liverpool v Barcelona couple of years back. Trent Alexander Arnold took a quick corner and Liverpool scored. As there was no match official involvement the play was accepted with, of I recall minimal fuss.
Had there been a match official complicit in that play I assure you match control is lost.
It can be allowed, but it has to be in the right way, and for me that is, you just do it.
As I said earlier the laws state very quickly. If a player is standing around asking, we lose the very imo and as such it will be managed.

Refereeing is hard enough as it is, why make it harder by allowing a goal to be scored in this manner?

If a team has taken the free kick before I arrive on the scene then no problem but as soon as I’m there then it’s on my whistle.

If the keeper hadn't gone mental, the rest of his teammates were disappointed but not angry. They were taking the ball back to halfway and talking each other up
"come on boys, plenty of time left" etc.
It was only the keeper who went off, at the opposition player, not me.

In refereeing as in wider life, recognising when it is more important to be effective than to be 'right' is a key skill
In addition, not being wrong doesn't always mean being right.

Misleading the defenders into one thing and doing another is just not fair and more unfair than not allowing attackers to take a FK when they want. Note that I did not say QFK because if it is taken quick enough then you wont have enough time to mislead the defenders.

Another example is flagging offside too early only to see attacking player and defenders to stop and have an onside player score a 'allowable goal. If it happens the refereeing team has stuffed up. Similarly in a Ceremonial FK situation, if you have a problem to deal with, with the defenders or attackers for that matter, there is something that could have been done better. For example the first thing you do before trying to manage/get involved in a situation for a FK around PA is to signal 'on the whistle'. if they take the kick before that then all good, you have not mislead anyone by getting involved, if they haven't, then everyone knows what 'on the whistle' means and we don't have a problem to deal with.

Last edited:
Another example is flagging offside too early only to see attacking player and defenders to stop and have an onside player score a 'allowable goal. If it happens the refereeing team has stuffed up. S
Yeah, but so have the players--how many times have they been told to play the whistle and that the flag is for the referee not the players?

Yeah, but so have the players--how many times have they been told to play the whistle and that the flag is for the referee not the players?
It's happened to me twice already in 3 middles this season. Both time I over ruled the AR and a goal was scored and subsequently allowed. Have had to ask myself if it was worth it for the aggro 🤣
Wierdly, the team that benefitted in the 3 games it happened was the same, as was the eventual scorer of the goal.

I don't disagree as per many previous discussions on the topic. The point was that you can't entirely blame the players for this and it was used as a parallel to a 'QFK' situation when players are mislead to think one way, even if the referee has not signalled so.

Using the same parallel for a free kick outside a PA, if the referee gets to the placement of the ball and between it and the the defenders asking the defenders to move ten yards, and while this is happing an attacker takes a kick and scores, then we can't say this is on the defenders only. They should know unless the referee explicitly instructs on the whistle, it doesn't have to be on the whistle. Yet the referee has mislead them into thinking it will be on the whistle.

I totally agree as to the FK--once the R gets involved in the FK, he must make it ceremonial. But I thin defenders who stop on the flag do it at their own peril, as there are not uncommon situations where the R validly waves down a flag.

Back