A&H

Klopp escapes ban

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
Announced today that Klopp has been fined for his red card against Manchester City.

Yes, the refereeing was poor but Klopp's conduct was not acceptable and the FA should take a tougher stance on this sort of behaviour because this filters down into grassroots.

One mitigating factor is that Klopp apologised immediately after the match; I wouldn't object to this being taken into account but I would still expect a suspension.

The Referee Store
Announced today that Klopp has been fined for his red card against Manchester City.

Yes, the refereeing was poor but Klopp's conduct was not acceptable and the FA should take a tougher stance on this sort of behaviour because this filters down into grassroots.

One mitigating factor is that Klopp apologised immediately after the match; I wouldn't object to this being taken into account but I would still expect a suspension.

Ridiculous if true but not surprising.

free range now for any manager to do the same

To be clear, that is the decision of the independent disciplinary hearing. Both Klopp and The FA can appeal that decision, clearly Klopp won't, and I'm not holding out much hope that the FA will.

The FA should look at this decision and come to the outcome that Jesse Marsh accepted a standard charge and got a one game ban, Klopp has accepted a more serious charge and has come out with a lesser sanction. If they are to have any credibility they must appeal this decision.

The fine was less than 0.3% of his yearly salary. Basically just like a grassroots manager being fined £50. Ridiculous

It is really that big a deal that he escaped punishment? Klopp is just the latest and punishing one manager will change nothing. Punishment needs to be harsh and consistent. Focusing on the Klopp incident allows others to escape criticism.

Let's be honest as well - a small fine or a ban of 10 games for Klopp has zero effect on grassroots. Just the same way that constant pushing and pulling in the PL is tolerated whereas we (mostly) apply the laws correctly.

I'd also comment that at times here I've felt like somewhat of an outlier in that I apply zero tolerance towards verbals from the sidelines. One or two low level disagreements, no problems. If it continues or if I am ever roared at, I'll happily take a trip to the sidelines to warn the coach to keep his opinions to himself and if I come back over, I'll be using my cards.
Coaches only behave this way because referees allow them.

It is really that big a deal that he escaped punishment? Klopp is just the latest and punishing one manager will change nothing. Punishment needs to be harsh and consistent. Focusing on the Klopp incident allows others to escape criticism.
The top sets people's expectations, grassroots players are almost all fans of big clubs. When I make a decision 9/10 any issues are related to me in context of decisions at the top of the game.

Let's be honest as well - a small fine or a ban of 10 games for Klopp has zero effect on grassroots. Just the same way that constant pushing and pulling in the PL is tolerated whereas we (mostly) apply the laws correctly.

I'd also comment that at times here I've felt like somewhat of an outlier in that I apply zero tolerance towards verbals from the sidelines. One or two low level disagreements, no problems. If it continues or if I am ever roared at, I'll happily take a trip to the sidelines to warn the coach to keep his opinions to himself and if I come back over, I'll be using my cards.
Coaches only behave this way because referees allow them.
Zero tolerance? But only warn when roared at! Which is it? 😏

I am a massive Klopp fan, and very happy that he apologised.

But… there should be a ban. Based on severity and precedent, 2-3 match touchline ban.

Buy… as a referee I would also like the punishment to go beyond punative and include some community work.

Clearly I understand the differences

that said, a fan runs out and behaves as Klopp did, life ban

Klopp chases a waiter round room in the local Italian screaming in his face, life ban, possible police action

Klopps acts as he did in full view of how many million, as good as assaulting an official in his workplace? A fine which he wont even notice

Zero tolerance? But only warn when roared at! Which is it? 😏
Well it depends on what is roared obviously, but you'll struggle to find someone as pedantic as me as to sideline behaviour. 😎

Back to the PL - I bet there will be numerous examples of managers acting unacceptably this weekend, and probably none will be sanctioned, so whatever happened to Klopp would have made zero difference to our games Saturday.

The issue isn’t whether we send off coaches behaving badly. The issue will be that if/when the governing organizations actually give bans. Those coaches will be all over them saying, “Wait, Klopp didn’t get a ban for what he did, but I did?”

In this case, the “discipline” committee left its backbone at home because it’s Klopp. Jesse Marsch got a one match ban for significantly less abusive behavior (and to be clear, I 100% agreed that Marsch earned a touch line ban). If Marsch, Steve Cooper, or Hasehutl did this, it would likely be a 2-3 match ban. But since it was a high profile coach, he got away with it.

If I were the FA, I’d appeal. I get PGMOL can’t publicly say anything, but I’d love some sort of officials organization to denounce this decision and have referees walk off in protest.

Last edited:
so what, we should just ignore it then because they haven’t done it before? One manager punishment will change nothing but you have to start somewhere and then you continue to punish every manager consistently until it stops or at least reduces it.

Like with any change, somebody has to be the example.

so what, we should just ignore it then because they haven’t done it before? One manager punishment will change nothing but you have to start somewhere and then you continue to punish every manager consistently until it stops or at least reduces it.

Like with any change, somebody has to be the example.
But this is my point - posters here complaining that Klopp didn't get a ban. What would change if he got a ban for 3 games? Nothing, because the willingness to change is not there by the PL. A long ban would be a token gesture to appease the anti-Klopp brigade rather than a demonstration of change. It will be forgotten about next week.

Until I hear someone in authority announce new rules, and see them consistently implemented, where any show of dissent by a manager to an official and any manager leaving their technical area and confront an official, will be a caution or sending off, then I'll continue to shrug my shoulders in apathy.

For me, I'll continue to apply the laws as rigidly as I deem fit for the circumstances I am faced with.

There's also the gross inconsistency that Jesse Marsch got a red card and a charge and was given a one game ban. Klopp commits a far worse offence, much more visible and obvious, and gets no ban. Both were charged under E3 - Improper conduct, both expressed remorse, and indeed the written findings for the Marsch case stated "there was no personal abuse directed at the Match Officials" yet that clearly wasn't the case for Klopp.

The FA can and should appeal the decision of the independent disciplinary board, on the basis the punishment is far too lenient.

Farcical as others have said, if you get a red card and unless you appeal and are successful, you should be banned from the touchline, if not what is the point in referees giving managers yellow and red cards!?

Is there any route to lobby the FA to appeal the independent board's decision as too lenient?
It's not about 'anti-Klopp brigades' or whatever, it's about the punishment fitting the crime and the FA clearly showing that it does not simply accept overly lenient punishments for this type of misconduct.
Also can the written report be seen anywhere yet?

Back