A&H

Level 4 Average Marks

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
I am curious to see what the average mark is in each area of the country/league for level 4s is.

In the Combined Counties our average is now up to 72.41 with an average club mark of 75.67.

I think as assistants we are all banded into one? As my statistics show it's out of X/831. With an average of 72.729

The Referee Store
I am curious to see what the average mark is in each area of the country/league for level 4s is.

In the Combined Counties our average is now up to 72.41 with an average club mark of 75.67.

I think as assistants we are all banded into one? As my statistics show it's out of X/831. With an average of 72.729
The Spartan average is also around 72.4 but Club Marks are a bit higher at 76.3

I had a really solid game on the line at the weekend, no mistakes and suppressed any temptation to interfere (not 'busy')
No dev points, very brief assessment report, no evidence of the Observer working to identify any Competencies, so he didn't tick any boxes and scored me 71.0
So that's killed my AR merit table for the year. Seems AR Assessments are even more 'luck based' then those in the Middle. Basically, if you don't go trying to score points and stay quiet in the game, you're stuffed. Not that it affects me at this stage. Just sayin... indicative of a 'luck based promotion scheme' based on scoring opportunities (or lack of) in the games we get

I had a really solid game on the line at the weekend, no mistakes and suppressed any temptation to interfere (not 'busy')
No dev points, very brief assessment report, no evidence of the Observer working to identify any Competencies, so he didn't tick any boxes and scored me 71.0
So that's killed my AR merit table for the year. Seems AR Assessments are even more 'luck based' then those in the Middle. Basically, if you don't go trying to score points and stay quiet in the game, you're stuffed. Not that it affects me at this stage. Just sayin... indicative of a 'luck based promotion scheme' based on scoring opportunities (or lack of) in the games we get

as with anything, you need to right observer otherwise you're screwed

Reminds me of an AR assessment I had. Assessor starts the conversation with “I don’t think I can pass you, as you don’t flag for any fouls.” I answered, “and were there any I should have?” He agreed there weren’t. 😡. He decided he could pass me after a cutesy question about a foul in the PA with the ball at the other end of the field:rolleyes:.

Problem with AR observations is the observer is there primarily to watch the referee. If he is looking at the referee he won't necessarily see everything that you do to tick a competency box. AR observation marks have always been a bit all over the place, even when it was back on the out of 100 scale.

The current competencies do reward assistants that have had to get involved. With the old system you could still get a good mark, but now the observer needs timed evidence to go above 7.0 in any competency. If you haven't had any active / passive offside situations, haven't had to provide any advice to the referee, etc, sections 1 and 2 can be a bit bare. Should always be able to pick up marks in section 3 though regardless of the game: good signals, always in the right place, and lots of sideways movement should pick the mark up. Perhaps that is why there are more marks available in that section than the other two.

Last edited:
South West Pool average is 71.7 for observers and clubs average is 76.3.

Seasonal atm for East Mids is at 72.167 with clubs at 75.23. Yearly however the average is at 72.163 so very little difference. Club marks are an absolute joke. Clubs at step 5 and 6 do not know how to mark a referee and many still base it on if they win or lose or if you give a pen / card against their team. The new way of club marks doesnt reflect what we actually do and a lot of clubs just put the expected down which is a bog standard 70 which kills us. Twice this season I have had one team mark me 85 and the opposistion mark me in the 60's, so you can imagine what happened during them games. I have also had clubs say to me "difficult game that, you did well" but still mark a 70. There is very little education on how to mark us and it is killing referees week in, week out. Get rid of club marks for promotion and go on observers

Reactions: es1
Back