A&H

Level 5

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
I’m pleased to announce that I got the email today to say I achieved my Level 5.

I’m am starting to think about next year .. what advice would people give as in which league to join and go for?

O currently referee in my County League which has around 8 premier games each weekend. I obviously don’t get appointed to a premier each weekend which is fine.

If I join the Southern Counties league what could I expect to get? A couple of lines and no middles? Is that worth it? I have a young child so midweek at the moment is not really an option but could be in future.

Thank for advice

The Referee Store
Congratulations. Assuming you mean the SCEFL you'd get lines on their step 5 division and could be eligible for middles on the step 6 and the development divisions. Some supply leagues will prioritise middles for their 5 to 4 promotion candidates though.

I will do that thank you.

Yes I don’t want to be stuck in the middle somewhat, I am hoping that there is enough opportunity for me to push on a little bit.

I do two games a month on the SCEFL and two on the Kent County League. This season the SCEFL has had the Premier division for level 4s and division 1 mainly for 5 - 4 candidates. We believe this is changing next season - not been confirmed by the FA yet but pretty certain- so both will be refereed by level 4s. You’ll not get middles on the senior divisions because we’ve got so many L4 refs. However you’ll be likely to get middles (and lines) on the U23 divisions, but these are midweek fixtures so may not be ideal. L 5-4 candidates will have to get matches on the county league, so there may be fewer of these to spare, so you will probably end up doing lines on the county league as well, although you will at least get some middles. The SCEFL development divisions may be used for 5-4 candidates so there would be fewer middles on these, because the KCL won’t want to upset L5 referees who don’t want to go for promotion, so will probably prioritise referees who are staying on the league not looking to move on.

There is a difference in standard between the two leagues, so if you’re thinking about L4 then lines on the SCEFL would be better for experience than lines on the county league. This is for the level of football, facilities and crowds, although some county league sides play at senior grounds so facilities at least are the same. Crowds are higher for the senior league - I did a game this midweek on the middle of division 1 with a crowd of 82, while my games on the county league have generally been half this or less. There are a few teams on the premier who usually get crowds of 4 - 500, and a few games have had a lot more than this.

Well done on getting L5.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes it’s a shame that it is going to go like that but I guess it is what it is.. I’m just enjoying what I am doing and will keep at it. I guess there was always going to be a pinch point where travelling increases and time out the house increases etc etc but money for games doesn’t particularly. I’ll see how it goes next season and maybe I’ll join the 5-4 after getting a bit more experience.

Back