A&H

Luton vs Man City

DazN

Level 7 Referee
Thoughts on the Bernardo Silva foul throw?

Was it down to the ball being released too early?

The Referee Store
VAR cannot gives yellows? Only for serious foul play. But surly that was a red car offence. Off the ground not in control and stamping?

Bizarre decision.
Nothing in Law 15 about the point of release ... ;)

“throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head”

Surely this means it can’t be released too early ie before it comes over the head? That was the only thing BS’s one looked like to me.

VAR cannot gives yellows? Only for serious foul play. But surly that was a red car offence. Off the ground not in control and stamping?
I meant surely it’s at least a yellow but not sure what ref gave but I’m surprised it didn’t tick the box for a Red. It was a shocking Challenge, just lucky he didn’t make more contact.

In mitigation, contact was low on the boot, in real speed was it an attempt to get the foot in to get body across the ball? Slow motion is always worse. As far as a VAR intervention, I'm ok with not clear & obvious SFP, benefit of doubt as the referee had a good view of it.

In mitigation, contact was low on the boot, in real speed was it an attempt to get the foot in to get body across the ball? Slow motion is always worse. As far as a VAR intervention, I'm ok with not clear & obvious SFP, benefit of doubt as the referee had a good view of it.
Can’t jump in like that. It’s a full 2 footed jump, not even a lunge

“throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head”

Surely this means it can’t be released too early ie before it comes over the head? That was the only thing BS’s one looked like to me.
Debated this issue on here many times.

The Law doesn't mention what's "expected". It doesn't say what is "too early" or too late. To me, his throw travelled forwards and upwards which meets all components of Law 15 so a daft decision.
In my game, so long as the ball comes from behind and over the head - we're playing on ... :)

Me too. Nothing in what he did made me think he did anything wrong. Just wondering what the ref saw that I didn’t.

Reactions: Kes
Think that is what saved him, there wasn't a huge amount of force and the contact wasn't full on. It seems when reviewing SFP they look to see if the impact causes any bending of the leg and it didn't seem to here.

Contact wasn't on the boot though it was down the back of the calf
We don’t want VAR re-refereeing the game, minimal intervention is better, it wasn’t quite at the threshold for me for intervention but if the referee had issued a red card wouldn’t have been overturned.

We don’t want VAR re-refereeing the game, minimal intervention is better, it wasn’t quite at the threshold for me for intervention but if the referee had issued a red card wouldn’t have been overturned.
He literally jumps up in the air and just lands on Foden. It’s impossible that you can say he makes any attempt on the ball with that action. It’s got to be a straight Red.

Think that is what saved him, there wasn't a huge amount of force and the contact wasn't full on. It seems when reviewing SFP they look to see if the impact causes any bending of the leg and it didn't seem to here.
Seriously? SFP now based on what damage it does?

Four foul throws given against City this season and nothing wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Seriously? SFP now based on what damage it does?

Four foul throws given against City this season and nothing wrong with any of them.
That's just based on the audio on some of the decisions on the Mic'd Up show, they talked about the impact on the leg.

The first foul throw looked a valid decision today, absolutely nothing wrong with the second one though.

Another ankle breaker in the spurs v Newcastle game. Diabolical challenge. Can't believe it's not upgraded
I honestly just don’t get PL refs/var decisions. They’ll give penalties for things no one wants to see and 2 potential leg breakers today, they’ve given yellows.

Reactions: es1
I honestly just don’t get PL refs/var decisions. They’ll give penalties for things no one wants to see and 2 potential leg breakers today, they’ve given yellows.
No card at all for Brown. Not even penalised as a foul. 2 min 30

Last edited:
Back