A&H

Man Utd V Brighton

Ryanj91

I fail to see how Maguire's trip wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Welbeck about to tap in and Maguire's trip clearly prevented that.

I miss international football and the lack of VAR already

The Referee Store
Trying to see it, but can't quite...maybe because it's 6 in the morning mind...

You got any better close up/angle than this?

There a bump in the back of Wellbeck and a little trip on his right foot. This is the moment .

Screenshot_20210405-182018__01.jpg

VAR did not have good enough technology to be convinced of contact. It's easier proven on physics of motion. Wellbeck's right foot has a slight pause after this frame in movement causing a mistiming.

It's not clear and obvious because you need a high speed camera to clearly show the trip not because the trip wasn't there. Another failing of the implementation of VAR.

Last edited:
There a bump in the back of Wellbeck and a little trip on his right foot. This is the moment .

View attachment 4870

VAR did not have good enough technology to be convinced of contact. The it's easier proven on physics of motion. Wellbecks right foot have a slight pause after this frame in movement causing a mistiming.

It's not clear and obvious because you need a high speed camera to clearly show the trip not because the trip want there. Another failing of the implementation of VAR.
Yeah you can tell he was tripped by just looking at how his leg moved and then go caught up.

Maguire's instant guilty face gives it all away too.

I'd Still say it's C&O because it is seen and VAR could have frozen it to that frame on the other side. Why didn't VAR go to a different, maybe better, angle?

I remember the Pogba penalty a few weeks ago when VAR spent what seemed 3/4 mins trying to find an angle to prove the miminal contact (brushing of knees if that) to overturn the referees decision and award another utd penalty. Why wasn't it done here?

Yeah you can tell he was tripped by just looking at how his leg moved and then go caught up.

Maguire's instant guilty face gives it all away too.

I'd Still say it's C&O because it is seen and VAR could have frozen it to that frame on the other side. Why didn't VAR go to a different, maybe better, angle?

I remember the Pogba penalty a few weeks ago when VAR spent what seemed 3/4 mins trying to find an angle to prove the miminal contact (brushing of knees if that) to overturn the referees decision and award another utd penalty. Why wasn't it done here?

That was given wasn't it? Also a clear pen imo

No pen for me. Thought welbecks foot hit the floor rather than Maguires foot.

It looked like a penalty on first viewing but once it wasn't given, there's no reason for VAR to intervene.

The very fact that opinion is split here suggests it’s a subjective call. I don’t think that reaches the threshold for a review.

Back