A&H

Man Utd vs Liverpool

The Referee Store
I am beyond shocked that they missed that. Clearly endangers the safety of an opponent IMHO.
At the time I thought straight red, then the whistle went and nobody mentioned it! Really bizarre from all the officials involved, which was a pretty incident free game and reffed well.

I wanted to post this… yesh… so obviously red.

Bruno’s eff off to AT going unpunished earlier also a low.

I did say when I saw this that I wouldn't be surprised if it was a red. Seemed to take an age to show the caution too. Think he was probably saved by the point of contact not being an inch or two higher. Definitely don't think the player would have been saved by VAR if AT went red.

Strangely though, I'm quite shocked at how much I'm seeing people say that Liverpool's penalty wasn't a pen. The point of contact for that one wasn't the expected point of contact, but it's still a stone waller for me. Stupid tackle by Wan-Bissaka.

Last edited:
I wanted to post this… yesh… so obviously red.

Bruno’s eff off to AT going unpunished earlier also a low.
This really annoyed me! Mainly because he’s such a regular offender, with his toddler-like throw of the arms and offensive language

Bear in mind Anthony Taylor sent off Lewis Dunk for calling him a “f-ing bellend” earlier this season, so he does have the ability to dismiss for OFFINABUS, but as someone else has said on the Sheff U Chelsea thread, enforcing the LOTG are second to not running the spectacle

All the time they choose this approach, the amateur game will still think it’s okay 🤦🏻‍♂️

In fairness to Anthony Taylor, I always think he's quite a strong referee and not afraid to make a decision on SFP and he did give himself quite a few seconds thinking time before producing the card. I do hope he's a better ref than thinking it's right nearly at the end of the game so I go yellow instead.

As for VAR, for me it would be awkward sending him to the screen when he had a clear view of it. mind you, i remembered complaining of possible re-refereeing when David Coote got sent to the screen in the Brentford Villa game despite having the best view of a tackle and only showed a yellow albeit understandably i accept he may of been too close to play for his own good.

As for VAR, for me it would be awkward sending him to the screen when he had a clear view of it.
I don’t think this is the explanation—it shouldn’t be. VARs are supposed to identify clear errors. If the VAR concludes it was a clear error not to send off, it should be sent down. And if the VAR doesn’t send it down, that should be giving him a missed KMI if the powers that be think it should have been sent down.

I don’t think this is the explanation—it shouldn’t be. VARs are supposed to identify clear errors. If the VAR concludes it was a clear error not to send off, it should be sent down. And if the VAR doesn’t send it down, that should be giving him a missed KMI if the powers that be think it should have been sent down.

Yes but it's subjective, I don't think everyone would think this is a red card and Taylor had the best view and give himself some thinking time so I understand why VAR didn't get involved.

If Taylor didn't had the best view or even worse does not even give a foul then he should be sent to the screen for him to judge himself.

Yes but it's subjective, I don't think everyone would think this is a red card and Taylor had the best view and give himself some thinking time so I understand why VAR didn't get involved.

If Taylor didn't had the best view or even worse does not even give a foul then he should be sent to the screen for him to judge himself.
That simply isn’t how VAR is designed to be used.

Well currently no-one seems to know how VAR is supposed to be used as it in one game is involved in changing a decision and in the next game it doesn't. The rules need to be more clearer as I think we have all come to blows in disagreeing if it's working or not.

"Everyone must think it should be a red card" has become a weird catchphrase on here - that's not something that will be found anywhere in the VAR protocol and is a ridiculously high bar to clear. If that's your standard for VAR to get involved, you need to lower it.

But I believe it also depends on how AT described what he saw to the VAR. If AT said 'hes off the ground, point of contact is on top of the boot, reckless, very close to excessive force but not quite for me,' then VAR would be very unlikely to intervene.

But I believe it also depends on how AT described what he saw to the VAR. If AT said 'hes off the ground, point of contact is on top of the boot, reckless, very close to excessive force but not quite for me,' then VAR would be very unlikely to intervene.
Absolutely. But unless Webb chooses to highlight it on TV in a month's time, we're all just guessing if that's what happened and everything was done properly, or if this was missed due to a failure in communication or judgement.

Last edited:
"Everyone must think it should be a red card" has become a weird catchphrase on here - that's not something that will be found anywhere in the VAR protocol and is a ridiculously high bar to clear. If that's your standard for VAR to get involved, you need to lower it.

Im just of the opinion if a referee has a clear view of it which he does and decides it's a yellow after thinking time and it's one of those where not everyone is thinking its a red then the on field call should stand otherwise it's just re refereeing.

If Anthony Taylor's view was blocked somewhat or his angle could of seen a tackle differently and he gives a foul but no card, then you could recommend a review because clearly it's an error not to produce a card. And if Taylor did not even gave a foul then again you recommend an review because he clearly has not seen the tackle for what it was.

It's such a grey area for me sending a referee to review an incident when he has clearly seen it. If Taylor produced a red it would not be reviewed but yellow is not a clear and obvious error either.

Im just of the opinion if a referee has a clear view of it which he does and decides it's a yellow after thinking time and it's one of those where not everyone is thinking its a red then the on field call should stand otherwise it's just re refereeing.

If Anthony Taylor's view was blocked somewhat or his angle could of seen a tackle differently and he gives a foul but no card, then you could recommend a review because clearly it's an error not to produce a card. And if Taylor did not even gave a foul then again you recommend an review because he clearly has not seen the tackle for what it was.

It's such a grey area for me sending a referee to review an incident when he has clearly seen it. If Taylor produced a red it would not be reviewed but yellow is not a clear and obvious error either.
Yes, but as @socal lurker alluded to, the criterion for sending the referee to the monitor is not whether they had a clear view of the incident or not, it's whether they've made a clear and obvious error in relation to the incident.

Last edited:
Back