A&H

Manchester City v Everton

The Referee Store
Not so sure, I think there is a chance he knows the ball is stuck between him and Ederson and is trying to kick it. Don't recall there being any significant complaints at the time and a red card would really be surprising everyone. I'd be more supportive of SFP, in that trying to play the ball he has kicked Ederson and endangered his safety.

Not so sure, I think there is a chance he knows the ball is stuck between him and Ederson and is trying to kick it. Don't recall there being any significant complaints at the time and a red card would really be surprising everyone. I'd be more supportive of SFP, in that trying to play the ball he has kicked Ederson and endangered his safety.
If there'd been significant complaints (surrounding the referee?), some would have wanted a fine for not controlling players. Did VAR even check during the 3 minutes attending to the GK? (Restart was a dropped ball...)

If there'd been significant complaints (surrounding the referee?), some would have wanted a fine for not controlling players. Did VAR even check during the 3 minutes attending to the GK? (Restart was a dropped ball...)
I'm not talking about surrounding the referee, but typically when a keeper gets clattered his team mates are all over the player that did it, that just didn't happen here, none of the Man City players seemed to be in the slightest bit bothered by it.

Of course it was checked, everything is checked. But even if VAR felt this was an offence I'm struggling to see how they could say it was a clear and obvious error, even on here some think it was VC, some SFP.

I'm not talking about surrounding the referee, but typically when a keeper gets clattered his team mates are all over the player that did it, that just didn't happen here, none of the Man City players seemed to be in the slightest bit bothered by it.

Of course it was checked, everything is checked. But even if VAR felt this was an offence I'm struggling to see how they could say it was a clear and obvious error, even on here some think it was VC, some SFP.
I think we've all struggled to see how VAR could say something was a C&O error, but that hasn't stopped them saying it. In admittedly a small sample, so far you're the only one not to see it as C&O!

Maybe no-one else will get the chance, as the Premier League have exercised copyright on that angle...

Did VAR even check during the 3 minutes attending to the GK? (Restart was a dropped ball...)
this is an issue that drives me nuts. The VAR checks every possible send off, PK, and goal. Every one. It may be a quick check or a detailed check. But unless the VAR has passed out from drinking on the job, of course this was checked.

this is an issue that drives me nuts. The VAR checks every possible send off, PK, and goal. Every one. It may be a quick check or a detailed check. But unless the VAR has passed out from drinking on the job, of course this was checked.
You'll need to be more specific about what drives you nuts. People asking whether VAR checked a possible sending off, or VAR checking the incident and deciding that kicking out at a GK's head is not VC? Did they not even think it was worth flagging up "checking possible red card offence"?

Last edited:
You'll need to be more specific about what drives you nuts. People asking whether VAR checked a possible sending off ...
This - or at least it's what drives me nuts. Referees, on a refereeing forum questioning (as you did) whether the VAR team was checking a possible red card incident when I'm sure they know (or most definitely should know) that VAR checks every thing that happens during a game, firstly to see whether it falls into the category of a reviewable incident and secondly to see it it meets the level of a clear and obvious error.

This - or at least it's what drives me nuts. Referees, on a refereeing forum questioning (as you did) whether the VAR team was checking a possible red card incident when I'm sure they know (or most definitely should know) that VAR checks every thing that happens during a game, firstly to see whether it falls into the category of a reviewable incident and secondly to see it it meets the level of a clear and obvious error.
Thinking they might not have checked is a sort of comfort blanket for the alternative that VAR is just not fit for purpose (or that two officials on the field and one or two in Stockley Park might have missed a potential VC, or that for whatever reason they "didn't see the right angle"). You can excuse the onfield decision; it's obvious that City players hadn't seen it either or they would no doubt have gone spare (made "significant complaints" as Rusty put it). And it doesn't have to meet the level of C&O error if the referee didn't actually see a "serious missed incident".

Until the PL expunges it again:

Thinking they might not have checked is a sort of comfort blanket for the alternative that VAR is just not fit for purpose (or that two officials on the field and one or two in Stockley Park might have missed a potential VC, or that for whatever reason they "didn't see the right angle"). You can excuse the onfield decision; it's obvious that City players hadn't seen it either or they would no doubt have gone spare (made "significant complaints" as Rusty put it). And it doesn't have to meet the level of C&O error if the referee didn't actually see a "serious missed incident".

Until the PL expunges it again:

Well I've operated at senior levels and I don't think it is a C&O error as there is enough of a chance that he is trying to hook the ball that was stuck underneath him. He might well have been trying to kick Ederson, but I don't think it is anywhere near certain enough for VAR involvement. But then I'm not a Man City fan so I have less skin in the game 😂

Well I've operated at senior levels and I don't think it is a C&O error as there is enough of a chance that he is trying to hook the ball that was stuck underneath him. He might well have been trying to kick Ederson, but I don't think it is anywhere near certain enough for VAR involvement. But then I'm not a Man City fan so I have less skin in the game 😂
I'm not a man city fan either and I see a player kick an opponent in the face, very clearly.

Not often I agree with @bloovee but on this occasion I see a very obvious, and easy to sanction, Violent Conduct.

I'm not a man city fan either and I see a player kick an opponent in the face, very clearly.

Not often I agree with @bloovee but on this occasion I see a very obvious, and easy to sanction, Violent Conduct.
Does it come under C&O though, that's what I'm getting at? I've heard lots of ex-pros say they don't think it was intentional and he was just swinging at a ball that he couldn't see where it was. Certainly think that if they gave it then it would have split the review panel down the middle or even on the side of it being an incorrect intervention.

Does it come under C&O though, that's what I'm getting at? I've heard lots of ex-pros say they don't think it was intentional and he was just swinging at a ball that he couldn't see where it was. Certainly think that if they gave it then it would have split the review panel down the middle or even on the side of it being an incorrect intervention.
As nothing was given it could be looked at as a serious missed incident which doesn't require the clear and obvious criteria to be met.

Yes. Again, like James, I'm far from someone who defaults to assuming anything City fans say is correct, but that's clear VC for me.

Imagine the hypothetical opposite world where the VAR does get involved and recommends a red card review. I can't see anyone (perhaps outside of the blue side of Liverpool) watching that clip, being told a red card resulted and then being outraged by it.

Last edited:
Yes. Again, like James, I'm far from someone who defaults to assuming anything City fans say is correct, but that's clear VC for me.

Imagine the hypothetical opposite world where the VAR does get involved and recommends a red card review. I can't see anyone (perhaps outside of the blue side of Liverpool) watching that clip, being told a red card resulted and then being outraged by it.
Don't disagree with that logic, but we don't have everyone on here agreeing it is a red, and as I've said many times my view is it should only be used for situations where every referee looks at it and says it was a mistake.

Don't disagree with that logic, but we don't have everyone on here agreeing it is a red, and as I've said many times my view is it should only be used for situations where every referee looks at it and says it was a mistake.
I understand the rationale for what VAR is "supposed" to be - I just find it difficult to support a system where a seemingly deliberate kick to an opponents head isn't punished.

If this isn't seen as a VAR mistake then that's fine, but it's also a crystal-clear indication that VAR isn't designed properly.

Clues in my name here for how seriously you take this, but are we not booking Ederson for endangering himself sliding out face first? 😂

In all seriousness during the game I didn’t even think it was a foul, same as the on field officials. He’s caught him in the face but there’s 3 players scrambling for a loose ball that the keeper has dropped.

Back