A&H

Mike Dean

The Referee Store
Where? In which sports are match officials interviewed on live TV straight after games?

in MLS, I believe reporters are still permitted to submit a written question to the officials. Not sure how long after the game. I think it may be limited to one question from a designated person, but I don’t recall the details.

That isn't what was being talked about though, it was about officials being interviewed after the game.
You said, "Absolutely think there should be statements made after games, or perhaps even videos of the referees explaining why they made a particular decision, but a TV interview straight after the game wouldn't be any help whatsoever"

I was agreeing with the first bit of the sentence. It might not be what you had in mind, but I had this is mind:

You said, "Absolutely think there should be statements made after games, or perhaps even videos of the referees explaining why they made a particular decision, but a TV interview straight after the game wouldn't be any help whatsoever"

I was agreeing with the first bit of the sentence. It might not be what you had in mind, but I had this is mind:
Is this the season of quoting me out of context. Immediately before I'd said that I'd said ...

I keep saying the same thing, they aren't going to want to interview the referee on TV after a game if there were no mistakes, they would only want to do it if there was a perceived error. Then if the referee tries to explain why it was correct in law they will just shout over him, just as BT pundits did with Peter Walton for years and Soccer Saturday pundits are now doing with Mike Dean.

I want there to be clarification after games, but not interviewing them after the game.

Is this the season of quoting me out of context. Immediately before I'd said that I'd said ...

I keep saying the same thing, they aren't going to want to interview the referee on TV after a game if there were no mistakes, they would only want to do it if there was a perceived error. Then if the referee tries to explain why it was correct in law they will just shout over him, just as BT pundits did with Peter Walton for years and Soccer Saturday pundits are now doing with Mike Dean.

I want there to be clarification after games, but not interviewing them after the game.

I know what you want (or don't want). I'm wondering if it would be as bad as you think.

(The problem would be when it's not as easy to justify the VAR decisions and then wondering if it was because the VAR was trying to help his mate / colleague....)

And then there's this...

Howard Webb said he wanted more transparency re VAR decisions, but we're not getting it, perhaps because some VAR decisions are just unsupportable.

Next instalment of Match Officials: Mic’d up is coming this week by all accounts

For that one I think there are two key things. One is that Chris Beath is very obviously an excellent communicator, not all referees will be that. The other is that the interviewer is very respectful, he accepts the explanations, he doesn't challenge any of them, and it is what it is supposed to be, an interview and not an interrogation. From what I've seen of the UK media they just wouldn't behave in that way.

The Jarred Gillett one is great, I'd love to see the referees mic'd up like that.

I think it’s not fair to expect referees at the top to suddenly be able to communicate or do a presser after the game. It takes years of training. The MLS style voice over review videos are a really good interim tool. Meanwhile the next generation of top flight refs should get prepared.

I think it’s not fair to expect referees at the top to suddenly be able to communicate or do a presser after the game. It takes years of training. The MLS style voice over review videos are a really good interim tool. Meanwhile the next generation of top flight refs should get prepared.
I’d really rather that our top flight refs get picked for their performance on the field rather than their ability to manage a press conference.

Where? In which sports are match officials interviewed on live TV straight after games?
Seen it a few times after a day's play in cricket test matches, where an umpire has agreed to appear on screen to explain/clarify a decision, but it's a very rare exception.

Football is weird. In most sports, the umpires/referees/judges etc seem to be treated with fair greater respect than we have ever seen in football.

Seen it a few times after a day's play in cricket test matches, where an umpire has agreed to appear on screen to explain/clarify a decision, but it's a very rare exception.
Erasmus came on Sky to explain the Mitchell Starc Catch during the Ashes. And whilst the aussies didn't exactly agree with it, they seemed to accept his explanation to some extent.

My point being, football fans don't seem to accept many other views other than their own when it's the team they support. Hence why something like Erasmus during the ashes, wouldn't work after a game in the premier league.

Erasmus came on Sky to explain the Mitchell Starc Catch during the Ashes. And whilst the aussies didn't exactly agree with it, they seemed to accept his explanation to some extent.

My point being, football fans don't seem to accept many other views other than their own when it's the team they support. Hence why something like Erasmus during the ashes, wouldn't work after a game in the premier league.

Not just fans. Look at how many times managers have been asked ridiculous questions in post-match interviews, and even walked away some times. If a referee was asked such a question they can't exactly refuse to answer or walk away.

Not just fans. Look at how many times managers have been asked ridiculous questions in post-match interviews, and even walked away some times. If a referee was asked such a question they can't exactly refuse to answer or walk away.
Yeah I completely agree but then it comes down to who's allowed to ask the questions
If there were a select few "repsonsible" reporters who were allowed, then we could have proper post match interviews.

Back to Erasmus, he was asked to explain the catch and then I think one or two off of sky asked a follow up question. He referred to a section of the Laws, which I know when it comes to football, fans seems to refuse to accept any extracts from the LoTG when it's their team involved.

Back