A&H

Mike Jones: Palace v. City

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Very, very poor from Mike Jones in the Palace v. City game yesterday.

Thought he got four major decisions wrong; awful challenge by Dann on Aguero and by Yaya on McArthur, both were very lucky not to see red IMO. Also think Palace should have had a penalty when Fernandinho brought down Cabaye and Nasri should've had a penalty second half.

I know I've said this before, but I have serious doubts about Mike Jones, never really looks in control of any game I see him ref. Bad day at the office.

The Referee Store
I think he got the two challenge's right, both on the strong side of reckless.

The Cabaye penalty no referee would of seen and would have been very soft. And the Nasri one I can't remember?

Dan on augero for me is a caution. It's a trip.

Cabaye should have earned a penalty - very difficult to spot amongst the bodies.

Yaya toure for me is a caution. Looked terrible, but I don't think it is.

I do agree that both the cautions pose the question "caution or red?" Rather than "caution or not?"

Not seen the incidents in question, however whilst there is no doubt Mike Jones has clearly done well enough in his career to be considered for the elite list, has always struck me as easily one of the weaker referees in the Premier League.

I think some of the City reaction was because of this: last season, same opposition manager, same referee - YC to offender and player out for weeks.
It really comes down to whether "lunge" in the laws just refers to studs showing or any dangerous tackle with intent to play the man not the ball. Plus a little tug back with the hand on an opponent in the same position would be yellow, so a yellow for this (and three fouls in three seconds) seems rather inadequate.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, that is 3 fouls, at least 2 cautionable, that last one is orange. so why no 3 card trick?

Some may argue they happened at the same time, but as you say they are 3 separate fouls for me so each potentially worthy disciplinary action.

To relate it to Dan on augero, that challenge is worse. That was a swinging leg across the opponents legs from behind. Dan just put his leg there and tripped him. Cynical rather than nasty (or endangering an opponent).

Hmm, not sure you see too many trips that leave a player with stud marks on his knee! All about opinions though, it'd be boring if we all agreed! :D

This is a common Pardew tactic; Nasri and Silva both picked up injuries from similar challenges in games v Newcastle recently.

Hmm, not sure you see too many trips that leave a player with stud marks on his knee! All about opinions though, it'd be boring if we all agreed! :D

This is a common Pardew tactic; Nasri and Silva both picked up injuries from similar challenges in games v Newcastle recently.

City fan by any chance?

To throw my tuppence in here, some players do not help themselves with theatrical dives after being fouled. Flying through the air is not natural and you have to wonder what that sort of impact does to vulnerable body parts. The nasri one in particular, the landing must have hurt and i just cannot see that tackle making him naturally fly up in the air like that.

Not saying there is no foul. Just the airborne part followed by the rolling around (which if it is genuine, fair enough, but how many times do we see them bounce straight back up once a card has been brandished to an opponent).

Okay slightly off topic. :)

Very, very poor from Mike Jones in the Palace v. City game yesterday.

Thought he got four major decisions wrong; awful challenge by Dann on Aguero and by Yaya on McArthur, both were very lucky not to see red IMO. Also think Palace should have had a penalty when Fernandinho brought down Cabaye and Nasri should've had a penalty second half.

I know I've said this before, but I have serious doubts about Mike Jones, never really looks in control of any game I see him ref. Bad day at the office.

The Cabaye penalty was very hard to spot in real time.
The YaYa tackle was never ever a red card.
I've only seen MOTD and there is no Nasri pen shout in that.
That leaves the Aguero challenge, which I believe 7/10 EPL refs would have issued the exact same colour.
Hardly "very, very poor" then

To throw my tuppence in here, some players do not help themselves with theatrical dives after being fouled. Flying through the air is not natural and you have to wonder what that sort of impact does to vulnerable body parts. The nasri one in particular, the landing must have hurt and i just cannot see that tackle making him naturally fly up in the air like that.

Not saying there is no foul. Just the airborne part followed by the rolling around (which if it is genuine, fair enough, but how many times do we see them bounce straight back up once a card has been brandished to an opponent).

Okay slightly off topic. :)

Yeah - book Nasri for simulation! And for being out for eight weeks...

And that reminded me, so for the sake of completeness, this is Mike Jones again...

Last edited:
Nasri was fouled Mr pedantic pants, he did not need to do a fall guy impression and fly trough the air. :D

That last one is blatant simulation. Higher league refs are taught about the arms - that isn't a natural way to fall.

That's a tough one. If the slide tackle misses, but you leave the leg in, then what's the decision?
Or if he intended on diving, but was tripped anyway, then isn't that a foul?
I see the point about the arms - but was his leg caught anyway?

That last one is blatant simulation. Higher league refs are taught about the arms - that isn't a natural way to fall.
I appreciate this may be a wind-up but.... no wonder higher league refs get a lot of criticism! As 71% of people said it was the worst decision of the season (and Graham Poll "one of the worst"), and the other 29% (and presumably Mr Poll) would have done but could think of worse decisions. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/worst-refereeing-decision-season-sergio-4723016
As the following weekend Mr Jones was refereeing in the Championship, I think I can say, sir, that wind-up or not, you're out on a limb with this.

Angry man city fan?

Every time I read one of your posts I feel it is missing a "grrr!" on the end. :p

More seriously; you are entitled to your opinion mate. Same as everybody else. :) what a boring world we would live in if we all agreed eh?

Back