Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.....

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I'd have to congratulate the player on having a better vocabulary than I
If I was MIB, I'd Google the meaning of the word and issue a red card based on Google's response

Red all the way. Has two connotations, one of which is racist and the other is highly offensive to disabled people. Either way, off you pop son

Can anyone who voted yellow or other pls explain. A player calls you something that's dictionary meaning is as follows....

"a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties"

And you dont think the appropriate sanction is a red card?
Que?

I refer to my post above, The use of the word "MONG" may not be foul, but i defy anyone that does not find it insulting :)

Can anyone who voted yellow or other pls explain. A player calls you something that's dictionary meaning is as follows....

"a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties"

And you dont think the appropriate sanction is a red card?
Que?
I was the 'other' voter. The player could have been lauding my egregious talent with the whistle (they often do!) for all I knew. 'Mog' would have been a better term for moi

Having been at school when “mong” was virtually a term of endearment, I struggle to be offended or insulted enough to dismiss for this......and I think my predilections towards OFFINABUS are well documented.

I fully accept that with the passage of time the word has become much less acceptable than it was 30+ yrs ago......however to get me reaching for the cherry it really would have to aggressive, loud, and/or accompanied by other choice offerings.

I’m from another era too where that term along with a few more were more prevalent. Not condoning in any way but it but once upon a time that was common parlance. It’s red today of course but I doubt back in the day many wouldn’t of batted an eyelid!

I’m from another era too where that term along with a few more were more prevalent. Not condoning in any way but it but once upon a time that was common parlance. It’s red today of course but I doubt back in the day many wouldn’t of batted an eyelid!

Have to say it wasn’t red today on my pitch......hence the reflection.

Said at normal conversational volume at the end of a brief dispute about whether someone can shout “mine”!

So you don’t find this offensive but someone tells you to F off is? Not trying to antagonise, genuinely curious, for me it’s the other way round

So you don’t find this offensive but someone tells you to F off is? Not trying to antagonise, genuinely curious, for me it’s the other way round

Please read what I put earlier,

it’s probably grown in its wrongness I suppose. But certainly 30 years ago no way was it red!

Mong is also a slang word for "spastic".
Therefore, IMO it should warrant the same punishment as it would if a player had said "spastic".

Red all day long. Easy.

Having been at school when “mong” was virtually a term of endearment, I struggle to be offended or insulted enough to dismiss for this......and I think my predilections towards OFFINABUS are well documented.

I fully accept that with the passage of time the word has become much less acceptable than it was 30+ yrs ago......however to get me reaching for the cherry it really would have to aggressive, loud, and/or accompanied by other choice offerings.

Mong was never a term of endearment, it was originally used to describe a Downs Syndrome sufferer and therefore is about as offensive as it comes. It was 30 years ago, 20 years ago, and still is now.

This is what I don't get with you, you regularly attack referees who don't deal with OFFINABUS but then come on and post something like this. Either you are deliberately looking for a reaction or you have double standards, and I'm not sure what is worse.

We do live in a snowflake society where someone is offended by just about anything. I would hate to be a comedian today as you can’t do any of Jim Davison’s 70s routine even if you wanted to!

I think this whole mentality of being ‘a snowflake’ and ‘back in my day’ really isn’t helping refs who are coming through in today’s game. What used to be acceptable is irrelevant, nowadays ‘Mong’ is a term to insult someone with a disability. Anything less than a red and you set a precedent

Mong was never a term of endearment, it was originally used to describe a Downs Syndrome sufferer and therefore is about as offensive as it comes. It was 30 years ago, 20 years ago, and still is now.

This is what I don't get with you, you regularly attack referees who don't deal with OFFINABUS but then come on and post something like this. Either you are deliberately looking for a reaction or you have double standards, and I'm not sure what is worse.

Clearly you didn’t go to the schools that I did then......certainly wasn’t offensive 30 yrs ago, or even 20.

Neither looking for a reaction or double standards. Just being honest, well aware that the snowflakes and haters will surface to duly castigate me.
As I said, in certain circumstances I could be pushed into the dismissal but in the circumstances today, it simply didn’t trigger my normally sensitive OFFINABUS reaction.

The player in question, u18s, approached me as we walked back to the changing rooms and apologised for his little outburst. We had a chat on the way and clearly this is a word that he uses a lot.....he said that last week the ref just told him to shut up. I explained that on a different day, with a different ref he could easily see red for that comment, which he accepted but said that he was just as likely to get a talking to.
So clearly the word isn’t as clear cut as some would have you believe......

We do live in a snowflake society where someone is offended by just about anything. I would hate to be a comedian today as you can’t do any of Jim Davison’s 70s routine even if you wanted to!

Yep, because clearly there's an ambition to get on stage and tell racist jokes whilst in between gigs engage in a bit of beating up your wife. Then going on to make homophobic comments on a reality TV show, not to mention making jokes about rape victims.

We don't live in 1975 any more.

I think this whole mentality of being ‘a snowflake’ and ‘back in my day’ really isn’t helping refs who are coming through in today’s game. What used to be acceptable is irrelevant, nowadays ‘Mong’ is a term to insult someone with a disability. Anything less than a red and you set a precedent

Sadly it isn’t irrelevant because experience is what helps shape how you deal with a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back