A&H

My first game i didn't do so well

Danwilliams

Level 7 Referee
So It was under 11 game today Blue vs Red and first half went well nothing bad so it the 2nd half and I blue player went down after what I thought was I fair challenge from the red player, but player was crying in pain so I decided to stop play to see if the player was ok so as i stopped play i noticed another blue player was down so i went over and the manager pointed out his leg and it had to stud marks on his leg and he was in real pain the CAR came over and said he saw it and it was number 7 from the red team so i called number 7 over he didn't deny it but because i didn't see it i couldn't give a card so i gave him a warning and he never didn't anything like that for the rest of the match but i lost confidance aswel as i felt i lost control but was i right this is bugging me cheers guys

The Referee Store
If you have not seen it then you can not do nothing about it accept say look I have not seen it but If I do see it then you'll give me no choice Kind of scenario but chin up if you get yourself in an RA or are already in one ask for mentor to watch you on your games and I'm sure you'll find it helpful with a mentor there giving you some advice

Hi Dan,
Don't stress about this one. There will always be things you can't see.
Do you have any idea how it happened? Was it a malicious off-the-ball thing, or just something in a tackle you missed?
If it was off-the-ball I'm sure the parents would have been screaming. If it was part of a challenge....heck, just because studs hit his leg doesn't necessarily mean it was a foul.
If you have a suspicion something happened off the ball, all you can do is adjust your positioning to keep an eye on the player of concern. Run a bit wider to keep him in your peripheral vision. Glance around to him now and then. When he's involved in a challenge, keep your eye on him for a moment longer.
As a referee, you will make mistakes. I can't see that one occurred here - after all, you don't have eyes in the back of your head. Professional referees with a full complement of AR's and 4th official miss off-the-ball stuff, so what chance do you have by yourself?
But there will be games when you know you've made a bad mistake. The challenge is keeping yourself in the moment so you can concentrate on the rest of the game.
One advice I've had is to take a few moments to picture myself in a moment where I'm feeling good - say, when I'm getting ready to go out to a party, or hanging out with my best friend or partner.
Anybody who has seen the movie Happy Gilmore knows what I'm talking about - 'go to your happy place'. Just for a moment. It can help to recentre yourself so you can deal with the next decisions.

You haven't done anything wrong in your description. There isn't much you can do if you don't see an incident. If you know who it was you can talk to them and warn them but that's it. I remember being told a story about how a guy was reffing in the top league in adult mens in the county and someone punched someone else, broke his nose, blood everywhere. He knew exactly what had happened but couldn't do anything except talk to the players involved!! Just affirm yourself that you made the right decision. I often feel loss of confidence and control, it is normal. If you feel loss of control, maybe just try and be slightly sharper with whistles and a bit louder to make sure people know what you are saying.

I had on - player grabbed other players nuts (per Vinny Jones). Heard, saw nothing.
Turned round and saw the punch from the other player - only one could be sent off. The other player got away with no disciplinary action, but he did have a punch on the nose to remind him.:blackeye:

I think you're being rather harsh on yourself - from your description it doesn't sound to me like you did much wrong. You didn't see anything but probably dealt with it as best you could in the circumstances.

Back