A&H

My first nightmare

DaleM

Edit: Sorry for post length, just wanted to get it off chest more than anything. Shoulda probably been in the Your Fixtures section too.

It's finally happened! It took about 15 games but yesterday was the first time I've refereed and could not wait to get out of there. Before the game I could probably see it coming - the umpteen comments about how young I look and questions of my age gave it away that I was going to be challenged by the home side.

About 20 minutes in I gave a penalty against the home side who proceed to go mental. The lad steamed in on the edge of the box, won the ball in fairness but he 'went through' the lad and for me, it was a foul. Of course that invited a lot of criticism - 10 unhappy home players, paired with a horrific manager and coach combo on the sideline ranting away. The other 1 player actually said he agreed and seemed a sane head in amongst a sea of loons. Penalty scored, 1-1.

The next 25 minutes were horrific. With every offside decision I gave, I got criticism. The away team were actually very good with me. I'd spoken to one of their lads before the game who was also a referee about the home team only having two corner flags. He took the flag on for his side and for me did a good and fair job - I was more than happy to go with his decisions. Of course, these were against the home team attackers though, and that led to increased frustration.

In addition to that, there were a host of other decisions going against the home side. Ridiculous handball claims etc. I think the biggest error I made was not to book someone for dissent in this period. One forward in particular was losing the head and with the heat in the game I decided to opt for a talking to, slowing the play down at one offside decision which he'd became frustrated with.

Just before half-time there's an incident in the box which goes unappealed. A lad's arm goes up as he swings around and he slightly catches the shirt of a home player. For me, it wasn't an intentional shirt pull. Although there'd have been an argument for a shirt pull, I didn't think it was intentional, it didn't affect the player on the ball and I felt if I were to have given it, it'd have been very harsh.

This didn't escape the eye of the home manager and coach though. I blew for half-time at which point I approached the home manager (Who was clearly about to start having another go anyway) to let him know I couldn't take any more of him swearing on the sideline and that if it continued he'd be sent off.

He denied swearing and accused me of being unfair. He was of the view that it was never a penalty. I explained that from my view he got the ball but went through him. He said he wanted me to start being fair and told me I needed to start making my own decisions from offsides. I told him I was, at which point he said I wasn't, and that I was a 'ch...', stopped himself before he actually said the word, and told me not to speak to him. I told him if he reciprocated that we'd have no problem and went to get my water.

As I did, his coach, an extremely large chap, decided to go a step further and ask how the **** it was a penalty in the first instance but not in the second. I explained my view again, which wound him up. He began to shout his view over and over, if I remember right he called me a '****ing idiot*. The lad who had told me the decision was right earlier came over trying to get him away, telling him it wasn't my fault they were drawing and it was that it was because they were **** up top. This went totally ignored but wound him up more. He genuinely looked like he was ready to grab hold of me, so at that point I decided it wasn't worth the bother, and simply walked away from him.

In the second half, the home team went on to net another 3 and win the game 4-1. The home linesman now starts flagging for every potential offside. I'm keeping an eye on it and staying with his calls at first as he does have a better position and there's nothing clear cut enough to warrant the bother of overruling him. At one point though, a lad comes from behind the defender and he tried to flag for it. I overrule him and thankfully he was replaced after that - but it seemed a clear plot from the home side to give themselves decisions.

The thing I'm most annoyed with myself about is that, as he above with regards to 'warranting the bother' I felt I let the HT incident get into my head. At one point a home centre back went in to a ball which he was always going to get, but rather weirdly did a huge slide tackle 'into' and over the ball to win it. The challenger wasn't even close enough to even stick a foot in, so I let it go. Looking back on it I think I should have pulled it up there. I heard a shout after it from a home team player saying "I'm not risking anything in there" - it showed they were intimidated by it and I think that might well have been the purpose of it. I did go back to the player and tell him that he couldn't go over the top of the ball, to which he said he 'got the ball'. Well that's fantastic.

With 20 minutes left, the home manager tries bringing himself on in a pair of Nike trainers. When he gets his boots he joins the play and apologises for the shouting. Nothing from his coach though.

With about 15 left the away team are defending a corner when one of the home players catches an away player with a kick. I stop the game and the lad rolls off the pitch, but the lad who is 'physio' for the home team is now on the pitch, so I allow the play to stop for the treatment - with the thought that actually, this might be another good opportunity to take any heat out of the game anyway. Instead, it backfires, and I've got home players telling me that 'there's a ****ing hospital over the road', and that because he's off the park I've got to continue. I tell them quite clearly that I've given permission for the game to be stopped for treatement even if it is off the park.

After the game I have home players refusing to shake my hand (they've just won ffs). I have a chat with the away side player who also referees again and admit that I'd had a bad game. I told him I totally regretted not stamping out dissent etc early because I felt I'd backed myself into a corner. He said I was a bit 'arsey', but that the fact I knew I'd handled it wrong was a positive and that I had the right idea etc.

In the second half, it felt like the away team got nothing. I honestly remember thinking at one point "I'm going to have to give the away side something here, because they're very close to boiling over to the level the home team did." As it happens, I didn't anyway, but they're not thoughts you should be having in a game. As I said before, I really think the HT incident with the chap who looked like he'd already ate a few referees got into my head - 50/50 decisions were going to the home team and I imagine it was because subconsciously I was thinking I'd rather get out of here alive.

Other issues included nets that weren't pegged in well, only having 2 corner flags(?!), the referee room not being locked and another referee subsequently having his wallet stolen (not a clue why mine wasn't too but that would have topped it right off) and the respect campaign team/official positioning only being followed by the away side.

Big learning experience but must say it did put me off a little. Thankfully I had more than a few beverages yesterday evening to help forget about it. I've reported the relevant info to the league but I can't say I'm keen to be back anytime soon!

The Referee Store
How many cautions, dismissals and misconduct reports have you submitted from that game?

Ok, self critique over. What are the good points?
Match under the belt.
Lesson learnt.
Never leave anything in an unlocked referee room.
Next game:
Get the home manager to sort the nets and corner flags, either he does or the match doesn't start.
Take no crap, get the cards out early.
Never let a coach or manager have that sort of discussion at half time, keep away, have your refreshment in the referee room or behind one of the nets. And if it does happen again, give him the chance to spend some quality time with his partner........

As per Minty's reply above you say you are dreading going back out on the field and that you think you didn't have your best performance, but what did you get right?

There must be some elements you are pleased with, such as positioning etc.

Also, whilst none of us are perfect and make mistakes, Im wondering whether the home side are always like this.

Some teams are just full of c**ks who get on the referees back regardless of how well the ref is doing. It's mind games with people like this, they're hoping that by getting on your back that this will influence you on giving a 50/50 their way later in the game, or that by getting in your head you'll miss things.

Unfortunately there is a pack mentality and if the players see that you're starting to doubt yourself then they'll start getting on your back too.

I'm only on my second season but have really struggled with this, letting criticism from teams get me down, I've found dealing that a quick caution for dissent, where it's warranted, generally shuts them up.

Basically keep your chin up and don't like the b*****ds grind you down. Is there anyone from your local ra who could come to your next match for some moral support and to provide any advice if it's needed?

sounds like a tough on to get on your first outing....
and also sounds very much like my first game up to a point, and as @Padfoot is alluring to, have a look at how many cautions you issued, and i bet its not enough... same as me

I had a game like this a couple of years ago, it was top of the table so was always going to be heated. My position was already made more difficult because I knew a large number of the players on one of the sides (I used to play in the same team as them a few seasons before, different side to the one I was officiating mind).

The game had lots of comments from players, managers and supporters throughout, and some centred around doing his mates a favour. I came off thinking I had had a stinker, missed a certain red card, players waited for my back to turn to follow play and the deliberately kicked his opponent in the back, and wanting the ground to swallow me up. Many accepted my decision that I couldn't give what I didn't see, but that antagonised the remainder.

What I didn't realise is that my local fixtures sec was watching the game and said afterwards he was pleased with the performance, but perhaps could have controlled it more with some cards earlier than I did.

A few weeks later I was commuting home when the home team manager came up to me on the train and said that he felt I handled the game brilliantly, and didn't let the digs/comments impair my decisions.

Before the game I could probably see it coming - the umpteen comments about how young I look and questions of my age gave it away that I was going to be challenged by the home side.
Nip that in the bud. If asked, you're "old enough". Give an air of confidence but also indifference, any comments re: your age are generally to undermine you so don't get involved

About 20 minutes in I gave a penalty against the home side who proceed to go mental. The lad steamed in on the edge of the box, won the ball in fairness but he 'went through' the lad and for me, it was a foul.

Any appeal? I know we don't referee that way but there's an element of refereeing to expectations. If the 'foul' was heavy, perhaps a shout indicating that's as hard as you are willing to allow. Difficult without seeing it or having more detail, at the end of the day if it's a foul it's a foul and it can win or lose match control if you don't penalise properly.

The next 25 minutes were horrific. With every offside decision I gave, I got criticism.

Mr yellow card is your friend here.

He began to shout his view over and over, if I remember right he called me a '****ing idiot*.

Either get rid of him by dismissing him from the vicinity of play, or if you're struggling to control everything tell him he is going to be reported.

This sounds like a lot of the "my first game" posts we get on here, and you're not alone so don't worry - it will get better with experience and confidence. You need to manage the players to an extent but do not, ever, put up with continuous questioning and comments - even if the 'final straw' is a bit innocuous, dish out the yellow and get control - it will calm down when 1 or 2 are in the book.

It also might not have helped, but you should have refused to start without corner flags :D

It also might not have helped, but you should have refused to start without corner flags :D
Aren't we forgetting "Spirit of the Game"? I think corner flags are the specific example they use as something that can be overlooked in order to get the game started. ;)

Other than that, I agree completely. @DaleM sometimes players just need a reminder that you're in charge and a couple of yellows for dissent can be just that reminder. I've issued team-wide final warnings via the captain before - along the lines of "your team as a whole is just getting a bit too mouthy: remember that once I've given a decision, any more arguing can be seen as dissent and I will start to give yellows for that soon." As long as you back up your words with actions where required, it can make your life a lot easier.

Some teams are just full of c**ks who get on the referees back regardless of how well the ref is doing. It's mind games with people like this, they're hoping that by getting on your back that this will influence you on giving a 50/50 their way later in the game, or that by getting in your head you'll miss things.

Agree with this totally - countless times teams on my back at tiems during the game and after the match, handshakes and "great game ref" all round.

Agree with this totally - countless times teams on my back at tiems during the game and after the match, handshakes and "great game ref" all round.

someone said to me recently that i have to assume that they are all cheating b*stards and will try everything they can to gain an advantage

DaleM, maximum respect for posting. When you are on own, that intimidation (at half time) can be hard to deal with. Your first priority has ti be your own safety. If you do feel genuinely threatened then you really should do something about it. Perhaps by finding a safer location with the right people around to deal with the offensive coach...

The other thing that struck me was that you should try to avoid over managing the calls. It is not up to you to balance out decisions.I understand that you felt the need to compensate for the CAR taking liberties. Warning the CAR would have been a better move than worrying that you should give soft decisions the other way.

(I am so glad I don't have to deal with CARs. We do lower league - and some serious stuff - on our own. I just run a lot with a big diagonal to get better angles on offsides, I stick to the diagonal (we are taught to do this when alone), and I worry least about ball out of play. I would much rather make a correct goal/no goal or offside/onside decision than a ball out of play error.)

every referee has games like this, learn by it, as i tell the young referees in my association. we dont give you nice shiney cards for you to keep them in your pockets

This game will have more for your development than an easy one, be sure of that.

A saying a wise old owl once told me is true in this situation, as I'm sure @Padfoot would agree...

"You can never issue too many cards, but you can too few"

Back