A&H

Neale Barry to retire

The Referee Store
Not a big shock. He has been doing the job for a number of years and has had health concerns in the past 2/3 years.

The big question is who get it, and what chaos do they cause to the current structure?

For me it needs modernising. This concept of referees having to turn up to seminars in match day attire is nonsensical in the current day, even if it did provide much amusement when one referee misunderstood and turned up in his refereeing kit. In fairness though that isn't just the refereeing department but rather the FA as a whole.

The younger guys in the refereeing department, like Peter Elsworth and Chris Wildey, have always struck me as very competent and perhaps could step up. I certainly don't think it needs to be an ex-SG1, or even SG2 or L1 referee that has to get the role, and it should be about who is best to develop refereeing rather than what level they refereed at previously. Being a top level referee doesn't necessarily mean that you have the skills and aptitude needed to run a refereeing department, just as the top players frequently don't make very good managers.

Neale has delivered a lot of change during his time in charge, wish him all the best for his retirement.

Back