A&H

Nervous about starting again

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Hi all I'm Dave!

I've not been refereeing long. I qualified three years ago and I officiated for a bit over a year, but for around the last two years due to having a baby a foot injury I've not done any.

I'm keen to start again as being a stay at home dad it would be nice to have some time with adults! The only problem is all I keep thinking about is all the negative experiences I had and worry I won't be up to still doing it. Almost like I've not done it for so long I've forgotten what I should be doing! I know it's silly and I'll be fine but just need to take that jump! I'm also aware my fitness levels are moles away from where they were since injuring my foot and having hardly any time to exercise.

So to cap off what seems a bit miserable introduction, I thought I'd join here to get back into the swing of it all! And I should point out I'm not always this much of a misery haha!

The Referee Store
Go get em Dave. You'll only know if it's right for you again by doing it. Clean start, be positive and create your own new experiences. Good Luck

Thanks James. I might get back into it with a couple of youth games. Just to get back in the routine if a match day etc. then go for some OA stuff again.

Hi mate.

Good idea to join the forum. Good bunch of lads on here, always ready with some good advice and support.

In a similar vein, of you're getting back into refereeing, search out your local RA - a goldmine of useful experience and support also.

It's like riding a bike. A writhing 22 man/boy, moaning, randomly behaving bike. Once you're back in the saddle it's all gonna make sense again.

Important to think positively about what your return will be like. Expect bad things to happen and you are inviting bad things to happen! Positive mental attitude!

Go get em.

Cheers guys. I'll let you all know when I finally get back on the horse for sure!

Dave,

I've just done exactly the same thing. Been away for nearly ten years (stopped when I was 18). First game back out and within ten minutes it felt like I had never been away. Read through the LOTG to swot up on your knowledge and go to a local game and just observe the referee. Both will help bump you back into the rhythm.

I totally agree with locating your local RA. Go along and I'm sure somebody will be happy to be there on your first game to help support you.

Chill out and enjoy it. Best of luck with it.

Alan

Cheers Alan, it was actually going to a local game that gave me the itch to get back into it. I'm actually planning on going out for my first proper run in about 22 months this weekend to judge just how terrible my fitness has become since injuring my foot. So fairly nervous about that at the moment! haha!

Did you get your foot injury as a result of refereeing?

Playing actually. Corner was cleared and I was on the edge of the box, wellied an effort at goal with my left foot, defender was closing me down and his foot was coming down, and mine was coming up. Took a massive whack on top of the foot. Broken bone and lots of problems since. It still gives me jip now, but probably as good as it'll ever be. Had three operations on it in total and dont think I'll ever play again because of it. Sounds more exciting than it really was/is though!

For the sake of your foot, I'd say, stick with youth games, upto u14's to avoid the need to have to sprint too often, if at all

Either that or become a centre circle ref and learn to love your CAR's

Reactions: SM
Well I'm taking the plunge tomorrow morning. Got a 3 mile jog planned, so will see how that treats me!

Well I'm taking the plunge tomorrow morning. Got a 3 mile jog planned, so will see how that treats me!
Just be careful not to overdo it first time out. Warm up with a light jog, then stretch out, then do your run. Listen to your body.

Remember you have to build up to a good level of fitness again or you will spend a lot of time with serious DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) or niggling injuries.

Good luck mate.

Right finished 4k in 32 minutes so wasn't breaking my neck and surprised at how easy it was. I thought if be dead half way. I was combining lots of fast walking and jogging and fairly pleased with how my foot held up. I was slightly paranoid watching the pavement to avoid turning my foot over on any cracks etc. which is never a good thing when trying to get into the zone!

Reactions: SM
Right finished 4k in 32 minutes so wasn't breaking my neck and surprised at how easy it was. I thought if be dead half way. I was combining lots of fast walking and jogging and fairly pleased with how my foot held up. I was slightly paranoid watching the pavement to avoid turning my foot over on any cracks etc. which is never a good thing when trying to get into the zone!

Dave, 4k in 32 minutes is always gonna be easy ;)

Pavements do have their perils, though I find that the grass verges hide the bigger dangers where turning your foot over are concerned.

If you can run on grass or cross country somewhere, better than pavements for jarring but, again, you do have to watch where you're putting your feet

Dave, 4k in 32 minutes is always gonna be easy ;)

Pavements do have their perils, though I find that the grass verges hide the bigger dangers where turning your foot over are concerned.

If you can run on grass or cross country somewhere, better than pavements for jarring but, again, you do have to watch where you're putting your feet

I'm used to pavement running. I used to do a lot of 10k's and done all my training just running around the streets. So totally agree on the streets jarring and generally killing your joints. So today was mainly about me getting out there and not coming back a cripple.

I've tried grass verges in the past, but found them pretty awful around my area. Lots of pot holes, and dog mess. I'll take pavements over that!

Essentially if I can get to 5k in about 25 minutes I'll be happier. I'm never making the Olympic athletics team, but certainly know I took it easy today getting my breathing right again. But I'm under no illusions that I'll be posting any awesome times. If I can get my pace below 6 mins per kilometre then I'll be happier!

Back