A&H

Netherlands v england

The Referee Store
That really is truly terrible positioning by the AR. But even with the poor positioning she has to be seeing that as offside.

1695758379211.png

That really is truly terrible positioning by the AR. But even with the poor positioning she has to be seeing that as offside.

Yes I thought I was missing something. Wasn’t even that tight.

I really don't know what the AR is doing. It isn't as if she has switched off and is looking at play, she is side stepping away from the second last defender at the time the pass was made. It is really a bit baffling.

Reminds me of Mike mullarky at euro 2008 where he was planted at the corner flag instead of moving out where the 2nd last defender was

I know it may sound stupid, but are officials too used to VAR, assuming these use it at national level back home, that they forget that they've not got VAR to fall back on?

I know it may sound stupid, but are officials too used to VAR, assuming these use it at national level back home, that they forget that they've not got VAR to fall back on?
even if they did, ARs get dinged for missing calls,so they have no reason to be lackadaisical

I know I keep saying this, but no referee or assistant will ever duck a call hoping that VAR will bail them out. As even if they are bailed out by VAR they will still get an incorrect KMD. They might as well guess at the decision if they aren't sure, if they guess it right VAR won't get involved, if they get it wrong VAR will (potentially) correct it but they are still getting a 7.9. There's absolutely no benefit to not make a decision and hope VAR helps you, it might get the right decision but it won't help you as an official.

I think it’s a case of the AR switching off as they think the attack is over, therefore their chance of an offside is over. If you start the clip at 35 seconds, at no point in the liner ever in line with the second rear most

Absolute brain fart and not one I imagine they will make again!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting though, not a single England player appears to appeal for offside.

Did the AR have a moment and get caught out by ball watching? Some won't admit it, but I bet at some point, we have all had moments in games where we effectively zone out and it takes a few seconds to refocus and by that time, you just might have missed a KMI....

It's interesting though, not a single England player appears to appeal for offside.

Did the AR have a moment and get caught out by ball watching? Some won't admit it, but I bet at some point, we have all had moments in games where we effectively zone out and it takes a few seconds to refocus and by that time, you just might have missed a KMI....

Yeah probably exactly what happens

I bet we do it multiple times a game. It's unfortunate yes...but there's a reason I'm lining step 5/6/7, she needs to be better here, and will no doubt have been told that too by those higher up

Yeah probably exactly what happens

I bet we do it multiple times a game. It's unfortunate yes...but there's a reason I'm lining step 5/6/7, she needs to be better here, and will no doubt have been told that too by those higher up
I know I've done this and I've often been lucky that the situation was easy, but there have been times where I had no idea where the player was when the deflection or pass was made.
I'm just lucky I'm not on TV, just so easy to switch off as an assistant

Reactions: es1
Absolutely, think we've all looked up at times and realise that we've drifted off the defensive line, but it is usually when play was in the other half and there's little danger. I was observed by a former Premier League referee once on a National League game and he said that I was regularly off the line when the ball was in the other half, but I was always level when I needed to be.

For the situation here the AR had to be in the right position, especially a FIFA AR.

Back