A&H

New ref - new to the game

Mattybuz

Hi,

I have completed my 5 games and am now a qualified referee. I'm 35 year old.

I need opinions on this thread more than anything. I have not played football at grassroots level ( I wasn't that great at school and only did a kick around) I really only watch the games live or on television.

I regularly study the laws of the game but I feel the players and coaches know more about the game than me. Slightly embarrassing...but I've actually had 5 good games through starting at mini soccer.

Is it imperative that I have had experience as a player beforehand ? I do refereeing because I like football and quite enjoy the education element of it, particularly the young ones. I'm also keen to play my part in developing womens/girls football which is why I opted to ref in the first place.

I need your honest opinions on whether i should pursue it still? I do enjoy it but I feel I am winging it half the time!

Thank you for your honesty

The Referee Store
I feel the players and coaches know more about the game than me
... but almost certainly don't know the laws as well as you!

Keep it up, you're doing it for all the right reasons. If doing the younger age groups is what you enjoy and the level you want to be involved with then keep at it. If you want to get involved at older age groups then progress through the ages as your confidence grows.

Do it! And like the man says, running the line is the best way to learn and learn faster from refs just ahead of you. I started at 39. You can do it;)

Do it! And like the man says, running the line is the best way to learn and learn faster from refs just ahead of you. I started at 39. You can do it;)
What he said. I started at 43 and cover grassroots from U7-U16 and love it. The education element of the game for those boys/girls just starting out is important - refs willing to devote time to this level are to be cherished.

I think it can potentially help in some certain circumstances, but not imperative at all. You’ll experience more the more games you do and see how you feel.

Anyone who’s willing to give time up to develop the game at younger levels is a precious commodity regardless of previous football ability. You’ve not got much playing experience, but as you’ve said you watch games so you know the game and what’s a foul etc. keep up the good work and hope you keep enjoying it

Speaking as an ex-player, most of them don't really know or understand the LOTG anyways and 95% of the time will always whinge on about a decision that you make. Back yourself as you'll know when it's a foul etc and the more games you ref, the more comfortable and confident you'll become in the middle.

Back