A&H

New Ref

Jake Northwood

Level 7 Referee
Hello Everyone,

I've had a slightly different route into refereeing compared to most that i've read about on this site.

So when I was 18 I took the course and passed my exam. Then as a typical teenager I did nothing with it. cant even remember doing my 6 games to start with. Anyway i've started doing some reffing at the school I work to get back in the swing of things.
I contacted my counties RDO and he was happy for me to become a level 7 as long as I passed a laws of the game exam, I was pleased to get 40/42 after such a long time out.

I play at a reasonable standard at the moment but looking to finish this season and take it up full time as I really enjoy it. I've also contacted the RDO to let him know id be happy to get involved in all midweek, or youth football I can this season to gain some experience to go full tilt next year.

My only initial concern is the fact that i'm going to be officiating players i've played with/against for the past 8 years. Any tips/pointers/advice on how to gain the respect of those people initially would be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
Welcome to refchat mate. Sorry I haven't responded until now, Saturday's and Sunday's are busy!!!!!! :)

As for the officiating people you have played with or against, don't do anything especially different. To your own self be true.

Don't worry about it, it's probably an advantage to have some insider knowledge on them!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I've had a slightly different route into refereeing compared to most that i've read about on this site.

So when I was 18 I took the course and passed my exam. Then as a typical teenager I did nothing with it. cant even remember doing my 6 games to start with. Anyway i've started doing some reffing at the school I work to get back in the swing of things.
I contacted my counties RDO and he was happy for me to become a level 7 as long as I passed a laws of the game exam, I was pleased to get 40/42 after such a long time out.

I play at a reasonable standard at the moment but looking to finish this season and take it up full time as I really enjoy it. I've also contacted the RDO to let him know id be happy to get involved in all midweek, or youth football I can this season to gain some experience to go full tilt next year.

My only initial concern is the fact that i'm going to be officiating players i've played with/against for the past 8 years. Any tips/pointers/advice on how to gain the respect of those people initially would be much appreciated.

Pretend you've never met them. Before, during and after the games.

David who?

Jake,
Firstly welcome to the forum.

I basically play football on Saturdays and ref on Sunday's and during the week. When I haven't got a game on a Saturday, I can be found in the middle. I've been playing for a number of years and also got to play at a good standard. I move around a lot with work and found that playing at a high standard wasn't going to work with my routine, so I formed a club with my friends and haven't looked back since.

Now, I referee as often as I can, sometimes 3-4 games a week and I always come up against teams where I have friends involved. Personally, I'm a man with morals and most of my friends know that. I treat them as I would treat the people I've never met before. Some think that they can get away with talking to me in a rude manner, whilst others appreciate the position I'm in. The ones that speak in a rude manner or try to get one over, soon realise that they can't. A few weeks ago the team I play for had the ref pull out last minute with no replacement available. I stepped up and took charge of the game. There were two yellows for my side for dissent, and then a second yellow for USB... I wasn't afraid to give my team mates their marching orders. I'm also the secretary/Treasurer of the club, so I sent the red card in on the Sunday, paid for it on the Tuesday.

You have to remember that when you are on the field you have to be unbiased and fair to all players equally. I find it hard sometimes refereeing for the people that I know, but they know they aren't going to get away with anything just because I know them.

It is difficult to do at times, but you have to see past that and put a neutral hat on. A quiet word with the lads you know before if they are mates our yours usually does the trick :) The ones with anything about them usually understand the position you're in.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago the team I play for had the ref pull out last minute with no replacement available. I stepped up and took charge of the game. There were two yellows for my side for dissent, and then a second yellow for USB... I wasn't afraid to give my team mates their marching orders. I'm also the secretary/Treasurer of the club, so I sent the red card in on the Sunday, paid for it on the Tuesday.

You have to remember that when you are on the field you have to be unbiased and fair to all players equally. I find it hard sometimes refereeing for the people that I know, but they know they aren't going to get away with anything just because I know them.

It is difficult to do at times, but you have to see past that and put a neutral hat on. A quiet word with the lads you know before if they are mates our yours usually does the trick :) The ones with anything about them usually understand the position you're in.

Top post Dave.:)

With regards to disciplining your "team mates" as described above, you haven't lived until you've shown your own son a yellow card during an U15's match and then had to pay his fine yourself!! ;) Thankfully he's a rugby player now..... :D

I've always loved the idea of playing on the same team as my son. My Mrs isn't so welcoming of the idea so she gave me a girl instead! Not that I'd change her for the world, of course :)

My Mrs isn't so welcoming of the idea so she gave me a girl instead! Not that I'd change her for the world, of course :)

I know what you mean mate. I almost wouldn't change my Mrs either...... ;) :D

Reactions: DB
:confused:
Feeling left out? :rolleyes:

Do you want us to bring you in? ;) :D

Errrr......while I've nothing against it, that perhaps is the first time I've ever been asked that by a bloke.

Think I'll pass on the kind offer for now though :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: Kes
Thanks for such a good response guys, always nice to see the replies when new to a forum.
DB, I'm looking to juggle playing and reffing towards the end of this season just to get back in the swing of things, hopefully this will help break me and the lads I know into realising our relationship will have to be different during the 90 minutes on the pitch.

A few cautions for taking the piss out of me may even make them forget that they ever enjoyed my company :)

Reactions: DB
Back