A&H

New Referee (Hopefully)

Connor Ward

Hi Folks.

All set to start my referee course up in Aberdeen in October. Always wanted to do it and decided to bite the bullet and can't wait to get started.

Been looking through the various forums and have found it all very helpful.

If anybody has any tips or bits of advice for me to do prior to starting my course that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Connor

The Referee Store
Welcome to the community forums buddy! I recently completed my Basic Referee Course and it covers everything you need to know. Before you start your course you should be given a detailed Pre-Course Study Pack. This will cover basic questions on the Laws of the Game. I would highly recommend in reading the laws of the game so that you are familiar with each topic. The course (or atleast mine did) consists of two sessions on a weekend running from 9-5. The course covers everything from the stepped approach to how to whistle correctly. Honestly just be prepared to learn and be prepared to be criticised, the mentors are only doing this for your benefit. Finally enjoy the course; I found this to be one of the most enjoyable weekends I've ever had and to be honest, when they say you get out as much as you put in. They aren't lying.

Basic things you'll need to bring to your course are as follows:
  • Football Kit (shinpads are a must)
  • Change of clothes
  • Football Boots (ensure that if you are playing on 3G your boots meet the criteria)
  • Plenty of food and drinks!
You should be provided with your basic referee equipment which includes;
  • Referee notepad
  • Red & yellow cards
  • Whistle
However some CFA's do vary you may have to bring your own whistle etc. however you may even be given more equipment than what is listed above.

Your course will be mainly practical with about 10% being classroom based. This course is very hands on and you'll spend a lot of time playing football whilst each candidate takes their turn to act as an assistant referee and a referee. As the mentors will reinforce to you on many occasions; you will only get a lot out of the course, if you put a lot of effort in! Get involved, everyone is in the same boat as you so you shouldn't shy away from opportunities to participate. If you have learned anything from this my three main points are that you should participate as much as possible, you should ask as many questions and you should enjoy yourself!

For your exam use areferee.com a very good learning tool. If you don't have great fitness try running it will build up your stamina and watch alot of footie!

You could always look at this website and run through a few threads where you can pick up a few tips and tricks of the trade.
Don't think that learning the laws is it as it most certainly isn't. Ive seen refs far more gifted than me in Law however they don't make good referees as they can't handle grown men in the heat of a game. Get bullied and show weakness and you are dead meat, show some steel ********, carry out your threats and you'll be fine. Let them fear you, no need to be nasty, just be cool under pressure. Its not a popularity contest, we don't tend to do very well in them as referees!!!

Hi Connor,
I'm currently 5 weeks into the 8 week course in Aberdeen.
You don't need much for your 1st session, pen and notebook and your £££ to give to Roddy. Information to complete your disclosure form will be handy, but can just be sent onto Roddy via email.
The guys usually send an email with the slide presentation for each Law as you cover them, followed up by a question sheet to complete for the following session.
Guys running the course are approachable and happy to answer any questions you have.

Don't run before you can walk, start with the Juniors, move up, get some experience, don't just go to OA as you can sink very quickly. Don't believe the hype of the FA Promotion blather, chances are you will be one of the 29,000 and not the Top 20!!! Most of all enjoy it!!!

I agree with Sheffields Finest, start with youth do at least a season then try out OA. Don't even worry about promotion until you have a whole season of OA behind you. There seems to be a must get promotion need from most new refs when we should be enjoying and learning our trade. Maybe there should be a rule put in place no promotion until18 months after you have qualified?

Back