A&H

Nike ref top

ollie Hamill

late flag is a great flag
Level 7 Referee
are low level refs allowed to wear a different colour top as I've been hearing different things
What other colour would you recommend

The Referee Store
Some (most?) CFA's will have approved a single alternative colour for grassroots - if you don't recall being emailed about this, check with your RDO as the choice of colour and if you're allowed to do it will vary by county.

Black is still a reserved colour for match officials though, so you should never need to have an alternative available. Personally, I choose to save my money and stick with black.

As Graeme has said, some counties allow one alternative colour. If you go that route, remember you will draw attention to yourself far more than the black which is the norm.

I usually wear black but I do also have lots of other colours. Some leagues I do (like the county league, isthmian u18, etc) only allow black. But the youth leagues I do tend to allow any colours.
Sometimes I use purple, orange, or turquoise. If a team wear a ‘dark’ blue or black and white stripes, I sometimes just put another colour on.

Some (most?) CFA's will have approved a single alternative colour for grassroots - if you don't recall being emailed about this, check with your RDO as the choice of colour and if you're allowed to do it will vary by county.

Black is still a reserved colour for match officials though, so you should never need to have an alternative available. Personally, I choose to save my money and stick with black.
Somerset has approved it but with caveats. Only wear them for evening games where visibility could be an issue wearing black, or if a club is wearing the incorrect kit I.e a kit which is too close to Black and could clash. They certainly don’t want coloured kits to be the norm

I've noted this before, but be glad to have limited options. In the US we have 5 1/2* colors that anyone who gets very serious is expected to have. Especially if you have short and long sleeves, that is a lot of shirts to buy.

*I say 5 1/2 because as far as I can tell, we still only have 5 that are official (yellow [which is primary], black, red, blue & green), but pink now seems to be semi-official--it started as something that might come out for breast awareness month, but is no pretty prevalent.

Last edited:
As has been said, you need to ask your RDO. Some CFA's only allow black, some only allow one alternative colour, and some seem to allow any colour (although this was never permitted by the FA, only one alternative was ever allowed).

I don't really understand why anyone cares what colour a referee wears. I can see why counties and leagues don't allow teams to wear black or very dark colours, so referees do not have to have loads of shirts, but why should anyone be bothered if I'm wearing green so long as there's no clash?

I often do summer tournaments where there are loads of teams who don't play regularly and it's very common for them to choose black. I did a charity game this season between London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade and the Ambulance service wore black.

I don't really understand why anyone cares what colour a referee wears. I can see why counties and leagues don't allow teams to wear black or very dark colours, so referees do not have to have loads of shirts, but why should anyone be bothered if I'm wearing green so long as there's no clash?

I often do summer tournaments where there are loads of teams who don't play regularly and it's very common for them to choose black. I did a charity game this season between London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade and the Ambulance service wore black.

I think at least some of it is protecting referees from the expectation that they buy a bunch of shirts. Once refs start wearing other colors regularly, it becomes an expectation. And once you get on the multi-color train, it tends to grow. When the US first had an alternative to black, it was one color (fuchsia). Then they rolled out a set of three colors. Then they added a fourth. And then the added a fifth. Now, as I noted above, in the US, any serious ref is expected to have all 5 colors--even though only one (yellow) is the primary color that all officials are technically required to have. With L/S sleeves, that's 10 shirts (before talking about pink). (Only in the last few years did USSF stop insisting that all three refs should wear the same length sleeves.) If I didn't live in Southern California where I often do multiple games on a hot day, I'd be all over a return to black only--but I'd love to have a single color or just a couple instead of the craziness we have here.

I think at least some of it is protecting referees from the expectation that they buy a bunch of shirts.

That is covered by the requirement of teams not to wear black or very dark kits, something I'm not advocating removing.

We have 1 team wearing black and one in dark blue (looks black) in my adult sunday league.

Nobody told them they aren't allowed.

Assuming the league is in England they would have had to actually remove that rule from SCOR for it not to be there.

We have 1 team wearing black and one in dark blue (looks black) in my adult sunday league.

Nobody told them they aren't allowed.
Report them to the league. If they don't do anything report the league to the CFA. It isn't allowed, there is no leeway, it is written in black and white (no pun intended).

Assuming the league is in England they would have had to actually remove that rule from SCOR for it not to be there.
Yes, you can only remove or change text that is in italics, and that part most definitely isn't.

If they try to, the CFA should refuse to ratify those rules and stop the league from registering until it is re-instated. That might mean another AGM for the league / clubs and the hassle that involves…..

Back