A&H

No red card back in the day?

JH

RefChat Addict
Classic match with punches thrown, ref just waves them off? Did he forget his red card or is there a reason for this?

The Referee Store
I imagine they didn't have red cards back then! This scenario where no one knows what's going on is probably one reason they were introduced.

Reactions: JH
Incredible rivalry between these two in the early 70s and Clough got right in it.

The Damned United is an excellent read and worth anyone's stocking
Apparently "My 20 years with..." is also good.

This punch up was a result of Francis Lee diving to win a penalty, when Norman Hunter had not touched him. Diving was far rarer back then but Francis Lee was known for it and if memory serves me right I think he scored a record 13 penalties in one season.

This punch up was a result of Francis Lee diving to win a penalty, when Norman Hunter had not touched him. Diving was far rarer back then but Francis Lee was known for it and if memory serves me right I think he scored a record 13 penalties in one season.
That is earlier on in the clip, looked exactly like we see nowadays, huge exaggerated fall, legs flailing...

You learn something new every day. Can't believe they were introduced that late!
At local level, they didn't come in until late 1980's.....

I qualified originally in 1980 and couldnt use cards at a local level for 7-8 years. It was originally only introduced in Football League, all other referees were banned from using.

I'd of had a few in my time in the late 70s and early 80s, not for dissent but usually retribution stuff. You gave some you'd expect to receive some back!! No half measures back in the day!!!

Back