A&H

Not great first game imo

ThatWasShocking

Hi. It was my first game today and I feel like I've made some mistakes.
It was youth game, top division in their league and it seemed like towards the second half teams began to lose their temper a bit.
I have biggest doubts about the equalizing goal from a corner kick. I might have missed the faul by attacking player. Home club lino spoke to me but because I didn't see it clearly, saying he saw it but I did award the goal to away team anyways. Home team was of course very unhappy.
Not sure what to take from it, definitely will think of my positioning at corner kicks. First half was definitely a bit better and feel like emotions got to both teams in second. All in all not quite happy. Sorry just wanted to have a moan

The Referee Store
It was youth game, top division in their league and it seemed like towards the second half teams began to lose their temper a bit.
I have biggest doubts about the equalizing goal from a corner kick. I might have missed the faul by attacking player. Home club lino spoke to me but because I didn't see it clearly, saying he saw it but I did award the goal to away team anyways. Home team was of course very unhappy.
Not sure what to take from it, definitely will think of my positioning at corner kicks. First half was definitely a bit better and feel like emotions got to both teams in second. All in all not quite happy. Sorry just wanted to have a moan
Great username. Will serve you well through your refereeing career 😏🤣
Firstly well done for coming away and self reflecting. This is very important for our learning and improvement.
If you didn't see the foul you can't give it. There is so much goes on at corners inevitably stuff gets missed. Club assistants can't advise on fouls and misconduct so they are limited to ball out of play/direction, and in some areas, offside. So well done for sticking with your decision .
Corner kick positioning, when on my own I often positioned on the goal line, usually back post but if all corners going near post I'll move over to that side. Some people prefer a traditional outside of area but that then makes goal no goal decisions tricky. Depends on preference and fitness levels.
Finally, to say again, great to see new ref self reflecting.

With corners, start with the “by the book” positions” until you get confident.

Try to keep moving, at least a little, when the ball comes in. If you are rooted to the spot or find yourself craning or stooping, it’s a reminder that moving helps you see better.

If you are on your own there are a few tricks to remind the players you are there: find an excuse to shout “watch the hands” or similar… another is to walk into the box while the ball is being collected, make eye contact, be in view, and then assume the position before the kick.

It sounds like you did all you could. You can only call what you can see. Having a guess or making it up is probably worse than calling what you see (or don't).

What do other refs try and focus on at corner kicks? Today I focused on the keeper to start with to watch for any obvious fouls and the shifted to the drop zone as the ball came in. What do others do?

Positioning for corners can change game to game and can be dependant upon the age of the players. I tend to stand just inside the penalty area level with the edge of 6 yard box so the corner comes over from slightly behind me but watching the players in the drop zone. Once a team have taken a couple of corners you can start to workout your best starting position, but do remember to start moving once the ball is in flight and backing away if needed

I felt like this for my first 100 games.

Live and learn.

Positioning for corners can change game to game and can be dependant upon the age of the players. I tend to stand just inside the penalty area level with the edge of 6 yard box so the corner comes over from slightly behind me but watching the players in the drop zone. Once a team have taken a couple of corners you can start to workout your best starting position, but do remember to start moving once the ball is in flight and backing away if needed
I reckon with half the youth teams I'd end up with a ball on the back of the head. Exactly that happened a couple of weeks ago with a free kick!

Clear the first defender... they didn't even clear the first referee! 😂

Thanks for all the pointers.
Things could have been better but I did enjoy it actually for most part.
Can't wait to go back on the pitch to be fair and work on those issues. Bet new ones will come up but I'm less worried now after the first game is out the way

Well done on your first game and immediately reflecting on improvement. Positioning is the hardest aspect to get early in a refereeing career.

I would add your referee appointment secretary might have given you an easier match to start!

Great username. Will serve you well through your refereeing career 😏🤣
Firstly well done for coming away and self reflecting. This is very important for our learning and improvement.
If you didn't see the foul you can't give it. There is so much goes on at corners inevitably stuff gets missed. Club assistants can't advise on fouls and misconduct so they are limited to ball out of play/direction, and in some areas, offside. So well done for sticking with your decision .
Corner kick positioning, when on my own I often positioned on the goal line, usually back post but if all corners going near post I'll move over to that side. Some people prefer a traditional outside of area but that then makes goal no goal decisions tricky. Depends on preference and fitness levels.
Finally, to say again, great to see new ref self reflecting.
Absolutely understand why you take that position but for me the chances of a breakaway are far higher than a goal/no goal call imo. As a level 3 you are no doubt easily fit enough to get back into a credible position on a breakaway on most occasions, but for the long clearance that the striker runs on to that's alot of ground to make up and alot of players to run past to get there. When I do Sunday League I take up the same position as I would on any other game, but I'm open to be persuaded that there's a better position.

Absolutely understand why you take that position but for me the chances of a breakaway are far higher than a goal/no goal call imo. As a level 3 you are no doubt easily fit enough to get back into a credible position on a breakaway on most occasions, but for the long clearance that the striker runs on to that's alot of ground to make up and alot of players to run past to get there. When I do Sunday League I take up the same position as I would on any other game, but I'm open to be persuaded that there's a better position.
It served me well for many years.
I understand why other people take the position they do, and yes, I was always able to rely on my fitness, but I can only share my experiences and what worked for me.

It served me well for many years.
I understand why other people take the position they do, and yes, I was always able to rely on my fitness, but I can only share my experiences and what worked for me.
Absolutely, and I'm always open to the view that what currently works for me might not be the best way. I did a Sunday League cup game on the line not long ago and the referee went on the goal line for all corners and attacking free kicks. We had a good chat about it afterwards. He was a very good level 5 referee but he's almost 60 and it seemed an awful long way to run if there's a break. But he's been a very good ref for a very long time so its obviously served him well

I’ve done about ten games and had a really disheartening one two Sundays ago. One manager saying he would never use me again as I didn’t protect his players. I haven’t reffed since and almost gave up.

Today I went and watched another ref for my development at under 16s. Got chatting to a parent and guess what, the manager who told me he would take his players off for player safety (we’re losing 4-2) has done the same thing to another ref before when losing.

I would say stick with it - to be a good ref takes time and experience. Sadly we are thrown in at the deep end from day one! I will go back to reffing this Sunday and learn each match. This forum has also been great.

Keep going.

Thanks. And yeah hope you'll have more pleasant experiences ahead. I played football for quite a bit and I know it often draws pretty unpleasant characters in. Luckily also the very pleasant ones. Good luck on your next game :)

There's very few jobs/hobbies where you train and are immediately left to go it alone, but refereeing is one of them. The fact that you're here and already looking back at your performance to see where you can develop tells me that you'll be absolutely fine.

Each referee will have their own positioning that works for corners and you'll find what works for you. I tend to position myself on the back post goal line about five yards into the box and side step towards the edge of the box as the ball swings in. I feel that it allows me to see the majority of what's happening in the box and be in a credible position for ball in/out and goal/no goal. I'll only deviate from that if I feel that for some reason I'm not getting a good view or if the majority of corners are being played short, in which case I'll move to the edge of the box closest to the corner. This relies on having good fitness/speed for breaks, but it's generally worked for me.

Over time your positioning and foul recognition will become instinctive, but in the meantime stick with it. We've all been in your position and are here to support, so keep at it, keep learning and keep coming back here with questions :)

There's very few jobs/hobbies where you train and are immediately left to go it alone, but refereeing is one of them. The fact that you're here and already looking back at your performance to see where you can develop tells me that you'll be absolutely fine.
This is a good point.
The best analogy I can think of is it's very much like driving. Whilst you learn a lot before qualifying, only once you are qualified so you really learn how to drive.

Last nugget of info from me. A lot of new referees spend a lot of time watching the ball in the air. 12 years in and I am yet to see a ball commit an offence (of its own accord at least). Try to focus on the players, they will show you where the ball is going to land and this way you're less likely to miss any offences during the flight of the ball.

I’ve done about ten games and had a really disheartening one two Sundays ago. One manager saying he would never use me again as I didn’t protect his players. I haven’t reffed since and almost gave up.

Today I went and watched another ref for my development at under 16s. Got chatting to a parent and guess what, the manager who told me he would take his players off for player safety (we’re losing 4-2) has done the same thing to another ref before when losing.

I would say stick with it - to be a good ref takes time and experience. Sadly we are thrown in at the deep end from day one! I will go back to reffing this Sunday and learn each match. This forum has also been great.

Keep going.
Glad you're getting back out there. Don't let the minority ruin it for you, because in my experience the majority of coaches, parents and players are just happy to have a ref and will treat you accordingly. It's just a shame the minority have a huge impact on us and are normally the games we remember

Each referee will have their own positioning that works for corners and you'll find what works for you. I tend to position myself on the back post goal line about five yards into the box and side step towards the edge of the box as the ball swings in. I feel that it allows me to see the majority of what's happening in the box and be in a credible position for ball in/out and goal/no goal. I'll only deviate from that if I feel that for some reason I'm not getting a good view or if the majority of corners are being played short, in which case I'll move to the edge of the box closest to the corner. This relies on having good fitness/speed for breaks, but it's generally worked for me.

Over time your positioning and foul recognition will become instinctive, but in the meantime stick with it. We've all been in your position and are here to support, so keep at it, keep learning and keep coming back here with questions
Thanks. That's true and probably why there was many questions suddenly in my head when on the way to the game.

I'll definitely need to try some of the things proposed here by practice and simply see how they work for me. Thanks again

In my first full season and get this feeling a lot, I think rolling with mistakes after the game just comes with time.

As new refs none of the games we are assigned to matter much in the grand scheme of things so as long as I get to the end of the game doing my best and learning from any mistakes (and you will make them as you try to find best positioning etc) then I'm happy.

Thanks. That's true and probably why there was many questions suddenly in my head when on the way to the game.

I'll definitely need to try some of the things proposed here by practice and simply see how they work for me. Thanks again
There is a saying that reffing is the only vocation where you are supposed to start out perfect and improve from there. But the reality is that it takes practice and experience. And experience means learning from our mistakes. (And, hopefully, watching games and sharing in forums like this help us learn from others‘ mistakes so we don’t have to make them all ourselves!)

My suggestion for improving is to pick a couple of things to focus on each game that you will work on--if you try to focus on everything, you aren’t focusing on anything. And keep a journal of your game—after each game, try to right down at least one thing you learned (good or bad) from that game.

good luck, and have fun out there!

Back