A&H

Notts County

At this location on the field I am heading quickly to the spot and asking the FK taker whether he wants a ceremonial FK. If he says no and quickly plays on I am OK. Once he says yes we are going through the whole palavar - wall, spacing to wall (from ball and attackers), keeper notice, whistle. Not sure what if any conversation occurred in this example but suspect that is central to whether playing on was acceptable?

The Referee Store
At this location on the field I am heading quickly to the spot and asking the FK taker whether he wants a ceremonial FK. If he says no and quickly plays on I am OK. Once he says yes we are going through the whole palavar - wall, spacing to wall (from ball and attackers), keeper notice, whistle. Not sure what if any conversation occurred in this example but suspect that is central to whether playing on was acceptable?
But if you have time to get there and ask questions it’s not “quick”. Quick is foul, whistle, kick. Once you’ve stood at the free kick point you need to manage it. I have no issues with quick free kicks but I’m not comfortable with sneaky ones.

Good to see so many refs prioritising their match control over what is fair to the fouled team 👍👍👍

Offside?

Bad camera angle, but if you freeze frame its unclear whether the defender tying his laces! is playing him onside or not.

Obviously could be another defender out of shot, but not that likely.
I watched it a few times and thought "offside". The line for the area give a good indication.
Was wondering if anyone else spotted it.

Good to see so many refs prioritising their match control over what is fair to the fouled team 👍👍👍
I would stop this free kick to maintain control, but what guidance and rules are we using here to prioritise control? I don't want your making it up ref.

What does football expect?

The referee moves to control the free kick. There is no quick free kick. The smart referee brings this back for “it to be taken from the right place.”

Back