A&H

Observation: Contact with observer

Kref

I have just been sent an email regarding my first observation of the season. And it says in the email to contact that referee regarding travel arrangements, and what to do in regards to delays.

What does it mean for travel arrangements? Do I just say that I am planning on getting to the match 1 hour before KO and will get myself there or do I need to say anything else.

And then in regards to delays do I talk about how if any of the team delay KO then I will email the league about the match and how long KO was delayed for or is it something else?

Also is there anything else I should discuss with him in regards to the match?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
I have just been sent an email regarding my first observation of the season. And it says in the email to contact that referee regarding travel arrangements, and what to do in regards to delays.

What does it mean for travel arrangements? Do I just say that I am planning on getting to the match 1 hour before KO and will get myself there or do I need to say anything else.

And then in regards to delays do I talk about how if any of the team delay KO then I will email the league about the match and how long KO was delayed for or is it something else?

Also is there anything else I should discuss with him in regards to the match?

Thanks.
One of the competencies in the new coaching form is communication with the match day coach. When you are advised of a coach appointment you are expected to contact the assigned coach and let them know things like your arrival time at the venue, the address and any specific details, if you have NARs what time you will do the briefing, and so on, and then if anything changes you are expected to make contact with them. This is seriously the easiest ever promotion competency, you can get above standard just by sending an email. I've already seen several referees this season not make contact, so they have managed to get themselves a below standard before they've even turned up at the ground.

One of the competencies in the new coaching form is communication with the match day coach. When you are advised of a coach appointment you are expected to contact the assigned coach and let them know things like your arrival time at the venue, the address and any specific details, if you have NARs what time you will do the briefing, and so on, and then if anything changes you are expected to make contact with them. This is seriously the easiest ever promotion competency, you can get above standard just by sending an email. I've already seen several referees this season not make contact, so they have managed to get themselves a below standard before they've even turned up at the ground.
Rusty do you have any other advice for my first observation, as what you have said above is extremely helpful?

Rusty do you have any other advice for my first observation, as what you have said above is extremely helpful?
Firstly, it isn't an observation, there are no observations between L7 and L5 anymore. Rather you are being coached, and to use an example of the difference, if the coach sees something wrong in the first half he will speak to you about it at half time. Previously the vast majority of observers wouldn't have done that.

In terms of advice, look at the competencies that are pinned in the resources section. That tells you exactly what the coaches are looking for, so just as you wouldn't go into an exam without knowing the likely content, why would you go into a game being watched without knowing what the coach is looking for?

The other thing to add is there is no pass and fail like there used to be. You don't get an overall mark or grade for each game, and I'm still not sure how CFAs will decide who to promote and who to keep at the same level. The purpose of the new system is to get people to higher levels faster, so my gut feeling is it will start off with most people being promoted, but over time it will focus on those showing significant potential. The FA have been very open that it takes too long to get from L7 to FIFA currently, so they want to identify exceptional talents very early after they qualify to get them through the system.

Firstly, it isn't an observation, there are no observations between L7 and L5 anymore. Rather you are being coached, and to use an example of the difference, if the coach sees something wrong in the first half he will speak to you about it at half time. Previously the vast majority of observers wouldn't have done that.

In terms of advice, look at the competencies that are pinned in the resources section. That tells you exactly what the coaches are looking for, so just as you wouldn't go into an exam without knowing the likely content, why would you go into a game being watched without knowing what the coach is looking for?

The other thing to add is there is no pass and fail like there used to be. You don't get an overall mark or grade for each game, and I'm still not sure how CFAs will decide who to promote and who to keep at the same level. The purpose of the new system is to get people to higher levels faster, so my gut feeling is it will start off with most people being promoted, but over time it will focus on those showing significant potential. The FA have been very open that it takes too long to get from L7 to FIFA currently, so they want to identify exceptional talents very early after they qualify to get them through the system.
Wait so I no longer get marks for these matches, but instead I'm guessing the coach will talk my CFA about how I am done then. And in regard to the resources is that the stuff that Lincs has posted then?

Wait so I no longer get marks for these matches, but instead I'm guessing the coach will talk my CFA about how I am done then. And in regard to the resources is that the stuff that Lincs has posted then?
Yes, you will get a report on the form that @lincs22 has posted, but you will notice there is no overall mark on there, just the individual grades. That report goes to your RDO, and at a guess I would say if you average standard expected across all competencies you'll get promoted. There's nothing written down for that though, as with all new systems it is very "fluid".

If this helps ..

I have had two coaching matches so far going from 7-6.. I have found the process very useful. My coach doesn’t judge me he advises me and I have learnt a lot in two games already. My previous game I got all ‘performed well’ apart from two ‘standard expected’.

The coach gives me a key focus for the next game and the idea is that you improve on that for next time. The report is sent to me and the CFA/RDO usually within two days.

He is going to watch me in one more game in the hope that I get all ‘performed wells’. Happy to answer any questions having been through part of the process already.

If this helps ..

I have had two coaching matches so far going from 7-6.. I have found the process very useful. My coach doesn’t judge me he advises me and I have learnt a lot in two games already. My previous game I got all ‘performed well’ apart from two ‘standard expected’.

The coach gives me a key focus for the next game and the idea is that you improve on that for next time. The report is sent to me and the CFA/RDO usually within two days.

He is going to watch me in one more game in the hope that I get all ‘performed wells’. Happy to answer any questions having been through part of the process already.
is this official match day coaches assigned to you in order for you to go from 7 to 6, or a coach personally assigned to you? The intention isn't for your own coach to do the promotion reports, nor for the same match day coach to watch you on multiple games, you should have different ones as you will then get different advice. Also, you only need two reports for 7 to 6, so a bit surprised you are getting seen again, especially by the same coach.

is this official match day coaches assigned to you in order for you to go from 7 to 6, or a coach personally assigned to you? The intention isn't for your own coach to do the promotion reports, nor for the same match day coach to watch you on multiple games, you should have different ones as you will then get different advice. Also, you only need two reports for 7 to 6, so a bit surprised you are getting seen again, especially by the same coach.
I have been assigned a match day coach from the county FA whom has now watched me twice and wants to watch me a third time for my 7 to 6. I have questioned this as it should be two, it is definitely the same guy though. Both match reports have been sent through to the County FA and myself.

I have been assigned a match day coach from the county FA whom has now watched me twice and wants to watch me a third time for my 7 to 6. I have questioned this as it should be two, it is definitely the same guy though. Both match reports have been sent through to the County FA and myself.
Hmm, I think your CFA might have slightly misunderstood how the new system is supposed to work. Your development would be much better served by having different match day coaches. Some have their own foibles, some spot things that others might not, and so on.

Hmm, I think your CFA might have slightly misunderstood how the new system is supposed to work. Your development would be much better served by having different match day coaches. Some have their own foibles, some spot things that others might not, and so on.
Yeh that’s a shame because I agree..

Apparently the coach has been assigned based on a number of factors .. location being one of these I assume.

Rusty some CFA might not be able to assign multiple match day coaches as quite a few of the match day coaches in my CFA are unavailable.

You don't get an overall mark or grade for each game, and I'm still not sure how CFAs will decide who to promote and who to keep at the same level.

RDOs themselves are not sure assuming the LOTG test is passed. The few I've spoken to are going to ait until they have a candidate they think it clearly not ready for the next level and then ask the FA Refereeing dept. what to do.

Even before this year the pass rates between 7 and 5 were very high provided you'd done enough games and passed the test.

Rusty some CFA might not be able to assign multiple match day coaches as quite a few of the match day coaches in my CFA are unavailable.

If a lack of coaches is the problem they presumably wouldn't be sending him out for a third time, since only two visits are required. I guess you could send somebody out for a third visit if the referee is struggling but that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

If a lack of coaches is the problem they presumably wouldn't be sending him out for a third time, since only two visits are required. I guess you could send somebody out for a third visit if the referee is struggling but that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

Yeh I’m not struggling 😂 .. I think he has taken it upon himself to come out three times to be honest. It sound like they have left it up to the coach to organise everything / get in touch with me to organise everything

RDOs themselves are not sure assuming the LOTG test is passed. The few I've spoken to are going to ait until they have a candidate they think it clearly not ready for the next level and then ask the FA Refereeing dept. what to do.

Even before this year the pass rates between 7 and 5 were very high provided you'd done enough games and passed the test.
I don't think the FA are defining it, they are leaving it to the CFAs. I suspect it will start out as people needing to average standard expected across competencies, but then change over time. The aim is to let people get to FIFA faster and younger, so I can see it changing that you have to significantly exceed standard expected to get promoted.

I don't think the FA are defining it, they are leaving it to the CFAs. I suspect it will start out as people needing to average standard expected across competencies, but then change over time. The aim is to let people get to FIFA faster and younger, so I can see it changing that you have to significantly exceed standard expected to get promoted.
Which to me is tough to swallow at 34 with no chance of getting FIFA now. Obvs no guarantee of getting any further either.

Which to me is tough to swallow at 34 with no chance of getting FIFA now. Obvs no guarantee of getting any further either.
Yeah, tough on those that have had to work their way through the existing system.

To be honest this could go one of two ways, it could work perfectly and get brilliant referees into the EPL by the time they are in their early 20s, or it could be a complete disaster, promote people too fast too early and see them lost from the game. The aim seems to be to get people from qualification into L4 within a couple of seasons if they are good enough, and that is a big ask for any referee, no matter how much talent they might have. Only time will tell.

Back