A&H

Observation: Contact with observer

The Referee Store
Methinks the FIFA age limits have been changed (other than the minimum, which you have passed😁) - upper limit was removed 6 years ago, and there doesn't appear to be a maximum for new referees joining the list.
The age limit for removal has gone, but I thought it is still there for getting onto the list. The FA certainly think it is, as it was one of the reasons for the new promotion pathway 😂

The age limit for removal has gone, but I thought it is still there for getting onto the list. The FA certainly think it is, as it was one of the reasons for the new promotion pathway 😂
I checked the FIFA regulations for nominating match officials, and couldn't find any upper age limit.
Maybe they removed it as age discrimination would rear its head in many countries(?)

I checked the FIFA regulations for nominating match officials, and couldn't find any upper age limit.
Maybe they removed it as age discrimination would rear its head in many countries(?)
Possibly, although they've always been able to get around age discrimination by being based in Switzerland.

It might have gone, but I wouldn't mind betting it is just hidden, and they just reject nominations for anyone older than the previously listed age. They want referees that can progress to the elite list, that isn't going to happen for someone first nominated in his or her 40s.

And I don't truly believe the upper age limit has really gone, as even the top referees haven't extended much beyond the previous age. The likes of Felix Brych and Bjorn Kuipers left at the very top of their games, and they certainly aren't going on well into their 50s like they are in the EPL.

This is the official line

h) The proposed match officials shall have passed the appropriate FIFA fitness test related to their
category, as well as a medical examination certifying that they are fit to act as match officials within the
four months prior to the deadline for nomination for the FIFA Refereeing International Lists (1 June – 30
September). FIFA reserves the right to require match officials over the age of 45 to undergo additional
technical assessments as well as specific medical examinations and fitness testing on a case-by-case basis.

There's so many competitions particularly in UEFA with VARs required as well that they just need roles filling so they've probably got rid of the the max age to be nominated just to get coverage.

Back