A&H

Offside Indirect Freekick

raf83

Level 7 Referee
Can you be offside from an indirect free kick i.e. if you receive the ball direct from the indirect free kick?

The Referee Store
For those pundits who don't understand the direct bit, this should be emphasised in the LOTG. Obviously we refs tend to get that ;)
I added because some new refs (and many coaches and parents!) get caught on the first pass following a TI or CK still thinking the Os exemption is in place. And the OP question is certainly a question from a new and learning ref.

I’ll add one more nuance here. “Directly” is used differently in different places in the Laws. Here, it means without being touched by another player on the same team. A TI that deflects off an opponent to a OSP player is still deemed to have been received “directly.” This is one place I think drafting could be better. What Law 11 really means is that TIs, GKs, and CK’s don’t count as a play or touch by a teammate that is used for determining OS.

And a slight trivia question for new refs only—when, after a foul, is it not possible to be OS on the restart?

After a penalty? Everyone would be behind the ball anyway.
If I remember correctly, you can still be offside from a penalty, if you stand on the side of the box in front of the ball. Players tend to be smart enough not to do that anyway so you never actually see it.

Edit: I'm talking nonsense

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you can still be offside from a penalty, if you stand on the side of the box in front of the ball. Players tend to be smart enough not to do that anyway so you never actually see it.

You can't, as all players must be behind the ball. Stated in the LOTG.

Edit - behind the penalty mark, to be pedantic against myself. All players except the kicker and goalkeeper.

You can't, as all players must be behind the ball. Stated in the LOTG.
ooooo, I've looked and that's right - that's quite interesting, I remember on my training course we covered the penalty procedure, and we were told that a player could stand in front of the ball however they would be classed as offside. They've clearly got their laws wrong there!

Last edited:
I initially thought on a PK you could have an OS offense if a player was improperly ahead of the ball. But on thinking further, I think the better call is a Law 14 infringement. But it is the same resulting IFK anyway.

ooooo, I've looked and that's right - that's quite interesting, I remember on my training course we covered the penalty procedure, and we were told that a player could stand in front of the ball however they would be classed as offside. They've clearly got their laws wrong there!
Depends how long ago your training course was. :D
The requirement for the "other" players to be behind the ball at a penalty kick was only introduced in 1995.

Screenshot_2024_0416_134515.png
Screenshot_2024_0416_134536.png

Last edited:
Back