A&H

Offside or Goal?

arbitre

Direct free kick to the attack (White), 23 yards from goal. Wall demanded by kicker. Ceremonial wall for the defence (Blue).
Referee whistles, kicker shoots past the wall with a not very strong shot which the goalkeeper should easily hold. However the keeper fumbles the ball and 3 attackers (White) are quickly onto the loose ball and one of them scores. Immediately the linesman flags for offside.
So, here is the rub. Two of the three whites were offside from the free kick, however the scorer was the one who was not offside. All three followed up the kick at the same time, with the scorer arriving at the ball a split second before his offside colleagues.
Decision - Offside or Goal?

The Referee Store
Impossible to say without seeing it (of course)
Assuming the "other 2" had no impact on the goalkeeper fumbling the ball/a save? and am reading that they did not, then given the "scorer" was "onside", at the taking of the free kick, then, for me, based on what I read, a goal.

From the description, goal for me as the other players (who were in an offside position) haven't touched the ball or gained an advantage from being in an offside position).

Only assumption made here is that they haven't interfered with an opponent's ability to play the ball.

Can I add on this one, I would like to think ( in absence of comms) that I might double check with the AR (if neutral) that "white 8 and 9 were offside yet white 10 was onside"
Just to help sell the decision.

Can I add on this one, I would like to think ( in absence of comms) that I might double check with the AR (if neutral) that "white 8 and 9 were offside yet white 10 was onside"
Just to help sell the decision.

That was exactly what I did, and awarded the goal.

Had all 3 been offside at the kick then I would have disallowed.

Take up a position after marching your wall 10 so go view everything blow now if you was in a good position to see it's a goal wave your assistant down and give it

Sounds like a good goal. Raising of the flag by AR cant have helped the sell here.

I usually say in my prematch if you think anybody other than the goal scorer/player playing the ball has committed an offside offence for which I might have a better view, for example PIOP interfering with GK, don't raise the flag but beckon me over to discuss. Why? Raising the flag sets an expectation that the goal is going to be disallowed. It probably works the other way but if I have gone over to the assistant and then I rule the goal out it at least takes the pressure away from them. Similarly if I award the goal after discussion.

Might I ask OP what prompted you to question the flag? You say the scorer was onside - was that obviously so or did yoir AR raise flag and then call you over?

Sounds like a good goal. Raising of the flag by AR cant have helped the sell here.

I usually say in my prematch if you think anybody other than the goal scorer/player playing the ball has committed an offside offence for which I might have a better view, for example PIOP interfering with GK, don't raise the flag but beckon me over to discuss. Why? Raising the flag sets an expectation that the goal is going to be disallowed. It probably works the other way but if I have gone over to the assistant and then I rule the goal out it at least takes the pressure away from them. Similarly if I award the goal after discussion.

Might I ask OP what prompted you to question the flag? You say the scorer was onside - was that obviously so or did yoir AR raise flag and then call you over?

From my position it was not obvious anyone was offside and I thought it was a good goal. The AR was new, his first match! He raised his flag, I might say a little hesitantly as the ball was slotted into the goal. Because of his hesitance, and being new, I thought I best go over and have a discussion to confirm what he saw. He told me he thought one of the offside players had the final touch, but he was not sure, as all 3 were almost together at this point. I confirmed the goalscorer with him, and confirmed that this player was onside at the crucial moment.

From my position it was not obvious anyone was offside and I thought it was a good goal. The AR was new, his first match! He raised his flag, I might say a little hesitantly as the ball was slotted into the goal. Because of his hesitance, and being new, I thought I best go over and have a discussion to confirm what he saw. He told me he thought one of the offside players had the final touch, but he was not sure, as all 3 were almost together at this point. I confirmed the goalscorer with him, and confirmed that this player was onside at the crucial moment.
Excellent teamwork well done!

However the keeper fumbles the ball and 3 attackers (White) are quickly onto the loose ball and one of them scores.
While 2/3 players might not have touched the ball there are still a number of actions they would result in them being given offside. I'm drawn to the phrase 'quickly on to the loose ball' - this has me leaning towards offside but this is definitely one where you had to be there.

While 2/3 players might not have touched the ball there are still a number of actions they would result in them being given offside. I'm drawn to the phrase 'quickly on to the loose ball' - this has me leaning towards offside but this is definitely one where you had to be there.
Unless they actually touched the ball, challenged the keeper for the ball or affected the goalkeeper's ability to play the ball then they have not committed an offside offence. From the description I'm leaning firmly towards there not being an offside offence.

Unless they actually touched the ball, challenged the keeper for the ball or affected the goalkeeper's ability to play the ball then they have not committed an offside offence. From the description I'm leaning firmly towards there not being an offside offence.
That was exactly my point - touching the ball is not the only consideration. We need to have been there.

Back