A&H

Junior/Youth Parents fighting

Carl bell

Guys some advice please 55 minutes u12 games ,my attention is draw to a couple of parents from opposing teams fighting with other parents pushing and shouting around 10 parents at it.
I observed what was going on and blow my whistle on a couple if occasions but no response .
Two of the coaches had to go over and and sort it this was in full view of all the u12.
I explained to both coaches that I was going to abandoning the game and a misconduct report was going in ,the parents were still arguing on there way out.
Would you guys have done the same. ? I couldn't identify any particular culprits ?

The Referee Store
Hi padfoot thanks for the rely the parents would not stop really going at it and to be honest only 5 mins left and didn't like what the kids were witnessing they were kids crying

Ok, just write your report to reflect that. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just wanted to see what your thoughts were.

As for doing the same....might well have done. Without being there, it's very difficult to give you a definitive answer, but if it's affecting the safety & welfare of the players then it would certainly be a strong consideration.

Thanks padfoot appreciate your quick reply I was just writing my report up , to be honest both managers agreed me stopping the game , just wasn't sure if I should just report the parents leave the match abandonment off my report .even the coaches were so annoyed but as I said they have a duty of care for players and their spectators .
Cheers

Personally, I would have pretty much replicated your steps. How can you possibly keep playing if they are fighting at the side of the pitch? If there are kids in tears, clearly they are distracted and won't want to continue, it's not a situation to ignore. I think you did the right thing.

With parents (spectators), generally speaking, there is no need to formally identify (other than making sure they definitely arent somebody named as taking part in the game) so dont worry too much about not being able to identify the culprit(s).
It is the club(s) responsibility to marshall their spectators and ensure they behave in a proper way. Any sanction will be against the club(s) not the individuals concerned, unless any of those involved file an official police complaint but thats another matter.

Well done, you did the right thing.
My first ever game was under 16, the last minute there was a brawl involving players, coaches, spectators.
I abandoned the game, even though the managers tried to convince me to finish.
Abandonment is the best way to get proper sanctions.

Well done, you did the right thing.
My first ever game was under 16, the last minute there was a brawl involving players, coaches, spectators.
I abandoned the game, even though the managers tried to convince me to finish.
Abandonment is the best way to get proper sanctions.

Which isn't your job as a referee.

You should only abandon a game when your safety is at risk, players safety is at risk, or is there is a clear welfare issue in youth games (as in this case). You should not abandon games merely to try and increase sanctions or the severity of an incident.

Fair comment, there was a clear safety issue in this case.
Continuing the game would have put players safety at risk as most of the players had 'lost it'.

You should only abandon a game when your safety is at risk, players safety is at risk, or is there is a clear welfare issue in youth games (as in this case). You should not abandon games merely to try and increase sanctions or the severity of an incident.
This agreeing with Padfoot thing is getting really worrying!! I need a lie down!!! :angel: Is there a medic on here???

Agreed, however if the parents are refusing to leave the ground/field of play, then I think you must consider abandonment. If they are fighting, it's posing a risk to spectators, and that is as important as player, manager and referee safety.

If you, as a referee, feel match control and player safety is compromised totally, even as a result of spectators, then you have every right to abandon. If the situation is sorted however, then just put in the regular misconduct reports and get on with it.

Back