A&H

Penalty area questions

BlindButFair

Hi all,

I have some fairly basic questions that I am hoping can be cleared up:

1. During a penalty kick, can players have their feet on the lines marking the penalty area / penalty arc? Or do they need to be totally outside it? (I realise this is being a bit pedantic)

2. I have been doing some of the LOTG tests on areferee.com and in many of the questions it's clear that (in these questions) after a goal kick, the ball isn't in play until it leaves the penalty area. I have been working under the assumption that this is based on old LOTG, right? The current LOTG clearly state that the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves. So, an example question is that the goalkeeper kicks the ball, it hits a teammate in the PA and goes into the goal, and the answer given is to re-take the kick, but I think with current LOTG that would be a goal - right?

The Referee Store
Hi all, I have some fairly basic questions that I am hoping can be cleared up: 1. During a penalty kick, can players have their feet on the lines marking the penalty area / penalty arc? Or do they need to be totally outside it? (I realise this is being a bit pedantic) 2. I have been doing some of the LOTG tests on areferee.com and in many of the questions it's clear that (in these questions) after a goal kick, the ball isn't in play until it leaves the penalty area. I have been working under the assumption that this is based on old LOTG, right? The current LOTG clearly state that the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves. So, an example question is that the goalkeeper kicks the ball, it hits a teammate in the PA and goes into the goal, and the answer given is to re-take the kick, but I think with current LOTG that would be a goal - right?

1 Lines are considered to be a part of the area they contain, so technically standing on the line is standing inside the area.

2 areferee.com is getting WAY out of date. And yes. under present Law a ball hitting a team mate and entering the goal is a goal.

On 1, that is a fundamental take away from the Laws: ALL lines are part of the areas they define. So someone on a line (or a ball on a line) is ALWAYS within the area bounded by the line.

(don’t let TIs confuse this. Players aren’t allowed to stand on the line for TIs because the line is outside the field of play, but simply because the Laws say they can.)

Back