A&H

Penalty or dive?

The Referee Store
Doing my own forensic VAR with the video it looks as though the Gillingham player catches the heel of the attackers left foot.

There was contact then he decides to chuck himself down. Defender possibly blocked off beforehand but would've been soft.

100% dive. If he’s grabbed his arm with enough force to pull him down, how has his he thrown his arm up above his head? Not to mention the fact he’s fallen forward ..

EDIT: I didn’t read the thread and just went in on Salah

Last edited:
It looks like his foot actually gets caught in the ground doesn’t it?

What about Werner's penalty today. He plays the ball one way and makes no attempt to follow the ball, only actually running into the goalkeeper. It seemed like his movement was purely to win a penalty. Is there no way of avoiding giving a penalty in that situation as there is no intention to play the ball.

Can't see the vid. But I have said this before. Don't blame players. Martial, Salah, this...

We train player to get a pen, they have to go down so they oblige. Start calling the fouls before a dive, or not call a pen if its only the dive that makes it look like a foul and you'd see the decrease in dives immediately.

Exactly my thoughts. Am I correct in saying Olivers yellow card to Dias for the incident is wrong in law?
No I don’t think so. Salahs touch was poor and you can see just as he goes down Stones nicks the ball away (which let’s face it, is why Salah has thrown himself to the ground) so yellow is right in the circumstances I think

Not the original incident but Salah:

Actually, Salah pushes Dias...
Utter nonsense. If you don't want to give a penalty away, don't grab and pull a player's arm. The foul undoubtedly occurs and as others have pointed out already, given he's had a season of being put in headlocks for no reward, I think we need to be asking our PGMOL colleagues why they've made it so that falling is required if a foul is the box is going to be correctly penalised.

I actually think it's a fairly generous interpretation of a covering defender there - yes the defender does sweep up, but IMO only because Salah is slowed by the pull. Without that, there's no way he's not getting a shot off at least. The actual question we should be asking around this incident is that having given a foul, has MO missed a dismissal?

We can all say PL refereeing is getting worse and so on and we can look at various incidents over the last few weeks as a sign of that but the Werner and Salah penalties are nailed on. The only queries around them is the sanction.

I really don’t understand this. It’s an unnecessary reaction from Sarah but it’s an absolute nailed on penalty.

I agree you don't understand it :). It is a necessary reaction from Salah because he has figured out how EPL referees work if he wants a penalty after a clear foul. Very unlikely he would have had a penalty if had not gone down and almost certain if he had got some sort of a shot away.

I agree you don't understand it :). It is a necessary reaction from Salah because he has figured out how EPL referees work if he wants a penalty after a clear foul. Very unlikely he would have had a penalty if had not gone down and almost certain if he had got some sort of a shot away.
That doesn’t mean that it’s not a penalty, though? Are you saying a player has to be absolutely clattered so they can’t move in order for you to give a foul?

Back