A&H

Penalty Shoot-out

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
Had a penalty shoot-out yesterday, in which encroachment by the goalkeeper was awarded for leaving his line before the ball had been kicked during the second penalty for the Away team (who took first penalty. The ball hit the cross-bar but I made the penalty be retaken as the goalkeeper had left his line. The members of the Goal Keeper's team claimed the miss should have stood, as the goalkeeper had made no difference by leaving his line early as he had got nowhere near the ball. This is wrong and I was correct to stand by my decision, wasn't I? Whatever happens I have a report to write because of misconduct by the home team because of the penalty shoot-out. This happened at U11 football as well.

The Referee Store
Retake correct - the LOTG also say you should caution the goal keeper. Law 14 for reference.

They are also incorrect that it made no difference to the outcome. It is more than feasible that a player increases the height of the penalty to compensate for the keeper being closer. Unlikely at u11 but strictly speaking keeper encroachment does impact the taking of PKs.

The keeper coming off the line can still impact the kicker as it may well throw him off his game.
But typically, you'll probably give the keeper a bit more leeway if it's a complete miss. Like you'll probably give it a bit more leeway if the kick was shot straight to him versus a fingertip save.

Good for you MK for applying the laws of the game, unlike many of our professional colleagues who regularly ignore encroachment at penalties.

An u14s manager I know recently had a rant after his side lost a penalty shoot-out. His bone of contention centred around the match refereeing ordering a retake after his keeper moved off the line before saving a penalty. His comment on facebook was "referees at this level shouldn't have the authority to order retakes". :wall::eek::mad:

Well because of it a coach started to get aggressive with the other teams club appointed assistant referee who agreed with me so I now have my first misconduct report to write. And it was my first penalty shoout out. Being a 15 year old trainee referee is difficult

MK, were the Blades the best team you've seen at Stadium MK this season, noisiest away fans?? Some great pics from our end!

Like expected, they were. Fair play. You were clinical and we were not but it was a Much better game than expected. Although in the end you ran away with it, it was a good game to watch. Good luck next season

Good for you MK for applying the laws of the game, unlike many of our professional colleagues who regularly ignore encroachment at penalties.
Except he hasn't, quite. The Laws of the game clearly state that if the penalty is retaken for a goalkeeper infringement, the keeper must be cautioned.

He's in good company though, I'd have to say I haven't seen a single instance of a keeper being cautioned for this in any televised match yet.

Except he hasn't, quite. The Laws of the game clearly state that if the penalty is retaken for a goalkeeper infringement, the keeper must be cautioned.

He's in good company though, I'd have to say I haven't seen a single instance of a keeper being cautioned for this in any televised match yet.
I think the caution would have made that misconduct report evan longer!

We had a thread on a similar theme not long ago. One of those clever young things put up the encroachment / infringement outcome tables. It's worth looking at if you are doing Cup games - one of the outcomes is surprising and caught out a top level ref not so long ago

I gave encroachment by an attacker on a saved penalty on Saturday.

The sheer panic in my head trying to remember whether it was a caution or not - knew it was for feinting and for keeper - is now quite amusing.

Fwiw I correctly didn't caution. I thank this website for helping me with that with the above mentioned Charts

Whilst you are correct in law are you really going to caution a 10 year old in these circumstances?

Are the laws of the game regarding misconduct different for certain ages?
Surely if everyone just applied them as they are laid down then we would indeed have consistency.
A huge issue with problems is the ref next week will give the sanction, but last weeks wont because its U11, if everyone just did as per the LOTG then reffing might just be a bit less hassle. The LOTG makes it clear what things can be modified for ages, the size of ball etc, the disciplinary sanctions though are not up for debate ?

Surely if everyone just applied them as they are laid down then we would indeed have consistency.
A huge issue with problems is the ref next week will give the sanction, but last weeks wont because its U11, if everyone just did as per the LOTG then reffing might just be a bit less hassle. The LOTG makes it clear what things can be modified for ages, the size of ball etc, the disciplinary sanctions though are not up for debate ?

Ridiculous absolutely ridiculous!

Any ref that is prepared to caution a 10 year old goalkeeper for encroachment needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

Can we not go down this route for the eleventy billionth time? A simple search will show how many threads have been done.

Back