A&H

penalty shoot outs

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I've been having a read of the law changes.

Who is responsible for making sure a player does not take a second penalty before all the others on their team has?

The laws seem to stay the referee no longer needs the order or number of players taking part.

Thanks.

The Referee Store
I believe the new rules means that the clubs do not need to give the referee a list of players taking anymore, meaning they can decide after each penalty who is taking the next one rather than being forced to stick to the order they submitted.

The referee would still be required to take the players number after each penalty to make sure they do not take a second one

I've been having a read of the law changes.

Who is responsible for making sure a player does not take a second penalty before all the others on their team has?

The laws seem to stay the referee no longer needs the order or number of players taking part.

Thanks.
The referee was never required to receive the order of players. So that part isn't actually a law change as such. Even in the past, if an order of players was provided the referee couldn't enforce that. The referee was only responsible for ensuring that nobody took a second kick when they shouldn't.
However, a lot of referees - like yourself - thought that it was required by law. So this is imply clarifying that point (well, it does a little more...)
However, it had become convention for the referee to take the order of the players - and in juniors in particular it's probably a really good convention. Some competition rules may even require it. I don't see the logic in the LOTG ordering the ref to not do it, but oh well.

Reactions: one
The referee was never required to receive the order of players. So that part isn't actually a law change as such. Even in the past, if an order of players was provided the referee couldn't enforce that. The referee was only responsible for ensuring that nobody took a second kick when they shouldn't.
However, a lot of referees - like yourself - thought that it was required by law. So this is imply clarifying that point (well, it does a little more...)
However, it had become convention for the referee to take the order of the players - and in juniors in particular it's probably a really good convention. Some competition rules may even require it. I don't see the logic in the LOTG ordering the ref to not do it, but oh well.
This is a good point actually. It's worth pointing out that even if the LOTG have been written to clarify that the referee doesn't need to take the first 5 taker's names, it doesn't in any way prohibit competition rules requiring the referee to do that...

This was always one of the big refereeing myths - that the teams had to give the referee the names / numbers of the first five takers. They didn't, and they still don't, but I reckon at least 50% of referees don't know that.

This was always one of the big refereeing myths - that the teams had to give the referee the names / numbers of the first five takers. They didn't, and they still don't, but I reckon at least 50% of referees don't know that.

In penalty shoot outs teams have offered me a list of names and seemed surprised that I didn't want it!

I believe the new rules means that the clubs do not need to give the referee a list of players taking anymore, meaning they can decide after each penalty who is taking the next one rather than being forced to stick to the order they submitted.

The referee would still be required to take the players number after each penalty to make sure they do not take a second one

Never did have to give referees a list though!

Back