A&H

Penalty ?

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
From Non-League Yorkshire

"Stocksbridge Park Steels have a great chance of appearing on A Question of Sport’s What Happened Next round in 2017 after conceding the most bizarre penalty you will ever see.
Just seven minutes into the clash at Bracken Moor, Basford were given a penalty after Steels captain Liam McFadyen caught the ball in two hands from Ben Hutchinson’s corner because he had heard the referee’s whistle.
Stocksbridge manager Chris Hilton said he had “never seen anything like it” during his seven years in management, in his post-match interview.
The referee had dealt with some pushing and shoving prior to the kick. He then whistled for the corner to be taken, but Hutchinson jumped the gun and took it a second or two before it sounded – facts that are seen and heard in the video. The ball then dropped into McFadyen’s hands, prompting Basford to surround the referee, who then consulted his assistant who was stood next to Hutchinson when the corner was taken.
Despite the assistant having the best view in the house of the incident and being able to confirm that the corner was hit early, the penalty was awarded – which Hutchinson duly converted with ease by sending goalkeeper David Reay the wrong way."

Video here: http://www.nonleagueyorkshire.com/...-mars-steels-defeat/

The Referee Store
From Non-League Yorkshire

"Stocksbridge Park Steels have a great chance of appearing on A Question of Sport’s What Happened Next round in 2017 after conceding the most bizarre penalty you will ever see.
Just seven minutes into the clash at Bracken Moor, Basford were given a penalty after Steels captain Liam McFadyen caught the ball in two hands from Ben Hutchinson’s corner because he had heard the referee’s whistle.
Stocksbridge manager Chris Hilton said he had “never seen anything like it” during his seven years in management, in his post-match interview.
The referee had dealt with some pushing and shoving prior to the kick. He then whistled for the corner to be taken, but Hutchinson jumped the gun and took it a second or two before it sounded – facts that are seen and heard in the video. The ball then dropped into McFadyen’s hands, prompting Basford to surround the referee, who then consulted his assistant who was stood next to Hutchinson when the corner was taken.
Despite the assistant having the best view in the house of the incident and being able to confirm that the corner was hit early, the penalty was awarded – which Hutchinson duly converted with ease by sending goalkeeper David Reay the wrong way."

Video here: http://www.nonleagueyorkshire.com/...-mars-steels-defeat/

IF report correct, hard to understand why Ref didn't just have kick retaken.

Just watched the video and the whistle sounds well after the ball is kicked? What was the referee doing? Retake all day long to avoid embarrassment!

Shocker. Whistle with the ball in th air - clear as day retake. How could the ref explain his whistle otherwise?

One question - on what basis can the report state that the assistant was "able to confirm that the corner was hit early"?

One question - on what basis can the report state that the assistant was "able to confirm that the corner was hit early"?
The fact that the referee had stopped the play, for jostling and I assumed used his whistle to stop it and then whistled to restart the play? Why did the referee whistle when the ball was in mid air? Did he see an offence he was stopping play for? No, he blew to allow the corner to be taken long after the ball was struck. Your question is irrelevant the decision here is horrendous the defender obviously catches the ball due to hearing the whistle being blown when the ball was in mid air. The linesman was obviously consulted and informed the referee the ball was in the air so why didn't the referee react accordingly.

extremely strange, has he gave a penalty for an infringment or is it for the handball the video isn't very clear on that point. a further whistle a few seconds after the defender handles was thus to award the pen or to get players away from him. alot of questions needing answears. alsi why are the ARs running opposite lines than normal aswell

The fact that the referee had stopped the play, for jostling and I assumed used his whistle to stop it and then whistled to restart the play? Why did the referee whistle when the ball was in mid air? Did he see an offence he was stopping play for? No, he blew to allow the corner to be taken long after the ball was struck. Your question is irrelevant the decision here is horrendous the defender obviously catches the ball due to hearing the whistle being blown when the ball was in mid air. The linesman was obviously consulted and informed the referee the ball was in the air so why didn't the referee react accordingly.

Yes, the question is irrelevant to the decision but it was asked in relation to the integrity of the report.

I'm so glad that I never ever entered any promotion scheme, with some good coaching I could be fecking games up like this with a crowd watching!! WTF kind of poor decision making is that!!!

All I can think is that he has seen another offence, and hasn't given it for the handball, but it doesn't look like that.

If he has given it for handball then it truly is one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made.

Maybe he wasn't looking at the taking of the corner but at the drop zone and didn't realise the corner had been taken early. The video clip doesn't show any consultation between him and his AR but that might just be editing.

I thought the 5-4 question was about a whistle in the crowd. There is no 'outside interference' here as it is the referee's whistle. He is right in law to award the PK but a sensible ref would realise what had happened and had it retaken. But we all have those days

I work with a ref who routinely works with us on RBs . First 10 mins are a nightmare as you get your flag hand sorted. Good fun watching degenders look the wrong way to appeal though.

Maybe he wasn't looking at the taking of the corner but at the drop zone and didn't realise the corner had been taken early. The video clip doesn't show any consultation between him and his AR but that might just be editing.

I thought the 5-4 question was about a whistle in the crowd. There is no 'outside interference' here as it is the referee's whistle. He is right in law to award the PK but a sensible ref would realise what had happened and had it retaken. But we all have those days

I work with a ref who routinely works with us on RBs . First 10 mins are a nightmare as you get your flag hand sorted. Good fun watching degenders look the wrong way to appeal though.

Your right @Paul March it was slightly different but the outcome would be the same.

If he has blown whistle to "stop play" (To warn about holding) and the kick has been taken before he has blown his whistle to restart play - how is he "correct in law" to then award a penalty for handball?

He has clearly blown the whistle for the taking of the corner , otherwise he would have restarted with a retake.

If he had blown it in error why do you think he would have restarted with a penalty?

We don't see the interaction with the linesman, who by some quirk was ideally placed to help.

It wasn't outside interference, we assume the whistle was required to restart due to holding/jostling that needed words beforehand. My assumption,based on the outcome and without suggesting it was correct, was that he felt the corner was taken properly. One can only suppose he was distracted with what was going on in the area and the line didn't get involved for whatever reason.

I think it is a clear lesson in pausing a moment or two when a player does something quite random and out of character for that moment in the game. In this case that would be - why would a defender catch a ball like he did when it would have been no problem for him to have dealt with it legally. We all have those 'terry' moments but this was bizarre.

i agree with @andrew ref , its not clear whether the pen was actually given for the handball.
having had a word for pushing and shoving, as they put it, we cant see if thats continued.
theres only one blow of the whistle, and thats before the ball drops into the hands of the defender, so that must in fact be the ref blowing for the penalty ?
what we cant see out of shot is if the ref has given a hand signal to the corner taker to play, and whether there was any more 'pushing and shoving'

Back