A&H

Pitch Markings

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
_78239784_dell_first_match_1898_pa.jpg

Picture from The Dell... back in the day.. strange markings to what we expect today. Not sure when we got to where we are today but i've never seen curves there or no D!!!

The Referee Store
I had to google historic football pitch markings. The long line is the 12 yards line and penalties could be taken from anywhere along it. The two 6 yard ds were shaped that wy as they were easier to mark with ropes attached to the goal posts

Fascinating photo. It would appear to be taken between September 1898 (The Dell was opened) and September 1902 (new pitch markings came into play).
@zarathustra is right about the circular markings and the 12yd line. It appears as though a penalty could be taken anyway on the 12yd line but all other players had to be 6yds away from the kick hence, the 6yds radius of the circle which allowed the GK to stand 6yds away. In theory, there should be a further line 6 yds back from the 12yds but it may have be optional at the time. Also, it was known for some pitches to have a line joining the apex of both 6yd circles to define the 6yd distance more accurately if a penalty kick was taken centrally.
The penalty arc didn't appear until circa 1937 and was a recommendation from European FAs.
Can someone tell me if the penalty arcs are now compulsory pitch markings? I've got it in my head that they aren't but the LOTG indicates they maybe aren't optional any longer.

Back